A little trip down memory lane

Nige65

When I was a youngster I lived in Hong Kong for a couple of years (dad was in the Navy), we returned to Cornwall in 1973 and on returning dad had to buy a car, against my Grandad's advice of a Mk3 Cortina he bought a Singer Gazelle (HEJ972G), it was okay but not great and beige. Roll on to 1977 and dad decided to change said Gazelle and opted for a burgundy Renault 16TS (TOR668H I think), this was different, front wheel drive, column change, twin choke carb, electric windows, comfy ride and seats, etc, we all loved it. Roll on to 1979 and another move, this time to Hampshire and as we lived 15 miles away from school I was always picked up by mum or dad, this was before 'schools runs' were the norm and I always felt a bit embarrassed, imagine my horror when dad turned up in a white Austin Maxi (MOY298L), I hated it and wouldn't speak to dad on the journey home, it was bad and needed the gearbox changing after about 2 months, I have no good memories so let's roll on to 1982ish and dad bought another Renault 16 albeit the lesser spotted TL model but still a nice car and one that I was old enough to be able to drive whilst we owned it. It was eventually replaced by a Renault 14TL.

Now my dad passed away nearly 6 years ago and on having a butchers at model cars on the bay, I came across this little fella, made a couple of bids and won him, the plan is to strip and repaint as per the burgundy 16TS and place next to a photo my late dad, sentimental I know but why not and thanks for reading!

PS, Does anyone have an idea on the best way to reattach the chassis to the body once the mushroom heads on the posts have been drilled out?

R16 1.jpg

R16 2.jpg

• Like 1

Great story mate. I get your sentiments entirety. Lost my dad at 13 and he had a mk2, now I own one, feel that bit closer to him. 

Go on Twitter if you have it and speak to Diecast Addicts, some cracking restorations on there and advice. 

I collect a few myself. 

• Like 1