Chris! Posted January 31, 2008 Report Posted January 31, 2008 It was made by someone i know to go in his 1340cc xflow it looks strange to me though it issss.... A8 INLET A6 EX
Toby Posted February 1, 2008 Report Posted February 1, 2008 Obviously a pre-cross or a cross flow. Some people try running a short exhaust duration to improve torque, ie the exhaust valve stays shut for a little longer than running a full A8. This means that the burning charge can push the piston down for more degrees of crank rotation, the thinking being this will add some bottom end. However, if by loosing some over lap, you could be trading off valuble top end. Would it be any better than something Cosworth or Kent came up with I am not convinced, (or knowledgable enough). The thing is with all engines is they work best if all the parts match one another, so two lobes from different cams on one cam, is the sort of idea that a very experienced engine builder might try when all other avenues have been down. I know of a Twin Cam engine builder who swears by running two cam profiles, but he found this out through not having a pair of cams, late in the day of an engine build. He said it went better than anything he'd done before. I guess it could still be argued that something else was wrong to make this work. I supose it doesn't matter if it works!! I also have a book by Vizard who talks about running two lobe profiles but he goes for more exhaust lobe in his book, I know of a crossflow that has a Kent 244I / 234E, but it wasn't anything "special" I question why, if you want more bottom end performance why not just go down a cam?? Cheeper than having a special ground, and if they worked with the different lobes wouldn't Kent make that the standard cam?? Having said all that, stick it in something and let us know how it goes!! And failing putting it in something you might find some one out there is very interested in it as I doubt it was cheep - being a special.
Chris! Posted February 1, 2008 Author Report Posted February 1, 2008 Obviously a pre-cross or a cross flow. Some people try running a short exhaust duration to improve torque, ie the exhaust valve stays shut for a little longer than running a full A8. This means that the burning charge can push the piston down for more degrees of crank rotation, the thinking being this will add some bottom end. However, if by loosing some over lap, you could be trading off valuble top end. Would it be any better than something Cosworth or Kent came up with I am not convinced, (or knowledgable enough). The thing is with all engines is they work best if all the parts match one another, so two lobes from different cams on one cam, is the sort of idea that a very experienced engine builder might try when all other avenues have been down. I know of a Twin Cam engine builder who swears by running two cam profiles, but he found this out through not having a pair of cams, late in the day of an engine build. He said it went better than anything he'd done before. I guess it could still be argued that something else was wrong to make this work. I supose it doesn't matter if it works!! I also have a book by Vizard who talks about running two lobe profiles but he goes for more exhaust lobe in his book, I know of a crossflow that has a Kent 244I / 234E, but it wasn't anything "special" I question why, if you want more bottom end performance why not just go down a cam?? Cheeper than having a special ground, and if they worked with the different lobes wouldn't Kent make that the standard cam?? Having said all that, stick it in something and let us know how it goes!! And failing putting it in something you might find some one out there is very interested in it as I doubt it was cheep - being a special. cheers Toby old chap, apreciate it
Jimbob-Squarepants © Posted February 1, 2008 Report Posted February 1, 2008 Nice answer there Toby... a good read mate
w p e Posted February 1, 2008 Report Posted February 1, 2008 this cam was of the shelf back in the day used in the national hotrods 1700 steel x/flows it was for different tracks cos with a quick diff change it would make the engine work [ie shorter or longer track] is similar to the 262 or 272 two cams in one
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now