stevepeanut Posted August 15, 2008 Report Posted August 15, 2008 When removing my viscous fan to fit my new electric one, the old fan got pushed into the radiator core. I thought nothing of it, but now the system is topped up, there is one tiny leak which squirts out. Local rad place wants £70 to recore it, and I am having probs finding a used one, as its the special radiator for the auto box. Are there any seals or fix kits that can be used?
SmokeEm Posted August 15, 2008 Report Posted August 15, 2008 Not worth trying mate. Radweld might work but does more harm than good in the long term as does cracking an egg into it (Proper oldskool bodge) £70 ain't bad for a refurb mate & money well spent
FredTransit Posted August 15, 2008 Report Posted August 15, 2008 In the short term try radweld, from most spares places, if it's a small leak it should do the trick!
Gonzo Posted August 15, 2008 Report Posted August 15, 2008 Find the leak and whack some Araldite over the hole. Did it on my mate's rad [which I swapped for mine while he went racing] and it's been fine.
Stu_B Posted August 15, 2008 Report Posted August 15, 2008 I had mine recored, it's well worth the money & may as well be a brand new rad
countrybumpkin Posted August 15, 2008 Report Posted August 15, 2008 go for the recore as if its leaking just from having the fan pushed on to it i'd say the core is getting quite thin anyway besides £70 for a recore is very good as my heater matrix cost me more than that, but make sure they garantee the work they do
garyv6100e Posted August 15, 2008 Report Posted August 15, 2008 That recore price is good cost me £110 to get a 3L cappa one done
stevepeanut Posted August 15, 2008 Author Report Posted August 15, 2008 Chucked in a bottle of rad weld and it seems to have stopped the leak, think tomorrow I will also cover the area with araldite too. I dont really want to pay for the re-core, as very soon I'm putting in a manual box and I'll need to change the radiator
Tom Posted August 15, 2008 Report Posted August 15, 2008 solder it up mate, get the area really clean and gently warm it up with a blow torch and feed in some thick solder. JD
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now