carzy idea

im at collage doing a aperentership for mechanics at collage and me and my tutor have been talking and he said i could use my own car as part of my cousework as long as i do something different with it.

now the fun part

i thort of something different and im going to put a motorbike engine in the front we have wrked it out and can get it to work so what you guys think should i do do it or not?

opinions please good or bad and i know i wont have a reverse :lol::lol::lol:

use a starter motor as reverse :thumbsup: and honestly u wont have enough time to get it done at college :thumbsup: i tryied with the anglia and its hard using someone elses tools, having to order parts and wait for them to turn up etc

its alot easier to do stuff at home :thumbsup:

well theres a mk2 on youtube with a bike engine, morley was building a bike engined anglia but thats kind of stopped :lol: i was going to do one but the lack of torque puts me off, torques easy to use and lovely to have in the bucket load, rev's arent !

personally the way i would go is to lose the boot floor and do a z cars style conversion - your losing less throught the transmission, weight over the driven wheels, breakneck acceleration, alot less space needed etc :thumbsup:

i just feel that it hasnt been done alot because its not the best option, look at the minis - they weigh nothing and people love putting bike engines in them BUT they are always mounted over the driven wheels apart from one car i've seen and he actually admitted it wasnt worth the hassle ! then you've got the weight of the vehicle, a bike engine is designed to power a lightweight 2 whelled vehicle with one rider and possibly a passenger thus why a bike engien is so good !, a car engine is designed to power a heavier vehicle that carrys 5/7 people. so trying to make a bike engine work in a car means some weight saving is definatly in order

a bike engine will lose alot of power having to run through a gearbox, through a prop, turn a diff to run two halfshafts etc

but its your time, money and effort :thumbsup:

out of interest what do you want to use the car for ?

Theres a mk1 fez that go's to Crail sometimes its bike powered the lad pushes it backwards though, so its safe to say no reverse :mrgreen:

But it would be very cool, say use a Busa or Blackbird or zzr motor, or for simplicity and just cos there strong and can take shed loads of abuse the old Gsx-r 1100 or bandit lump. Bike lumps are very powerful these days and can be made even more wild very easily, only thing they lack is Torque.

Having said that i'd love to see a Turbo Calibra lump in a mk1 fez that would rock! and it is different :thumbsup:

If it fits a Nova surely it will go into a fez?

reckon it could work in the back of a fezza, you can shed loadsa weight from it once the engine and box are out the front and you get fibreglass tailgate bonnet and doors, bin the petrol tank and fit a teeny one, one seat and harness, stripped to just a steering wheel and pedal box.

think it would be very quick myself. they dont weigh much i was lifting the fornt end of mine with one hand once i stripped it out

do it mate... front engine RWD works fine!

youtube mk1 golf hayabusa and check that shit out, it's lightening quick!

sign up to locostbuilders forum, as loadsa peeps on there have m'bike powered kit cars that are like shit off a shovel so loadsa help available there!

starter motor mounted backwards = reverse :wink:

also look up Z cars, they make amazing minis that dick on proper big engined race cars....

and if you put it in the front you can keep the bike gear box and then use the bike chain to the prop and roberts your fathers brother!

would love it if you did this mate!

do it mate... front engine RWD works fine!

youtube mk1 golf hayabusa and check that shit out, it's lightening quick!

sign up to locostbuilders forum, as loadsa peeps on there have m'bike powered kit cars that are like shit off a shovel so loadsa help available there!

starter motor mounted backwards = reverse :wink:

also look up Z cars, they make amazing minis that dick on proper big engined race cars....

and if you put it in the front you can keep the bike gear box and then use the bike chain to the prop and roberts your fathers brother!

would love it if you did this mate!

agree totally with ya mate and its going to be completly stripped out as light as i can get it but it will have two seats :wink: and its staying fwd for now untilli put it in the back :mrgreen: and i am going to do this started taking the old engine out this mornin and going to look a acomplete bike tonight :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

a yamaha r1 or suzuki 1000gsxr make good contenders?

never heard of a ducati engine in a car though... a ductati 999 would sound amazing!

Ducati's are tempromental as hell i'd not bother with one

My mate suggested xjr engine as there cheap and you can buy a supercharger for em :wink: