countrybumpkin Posted February 5, 2009 Report Posted February 5, 2009 i've just been given a mk6 escort that was going to be banger raced its in very good condition so i thought i'd do it up and sell it on but the only problem is the log book has been sent away as scraped so does anyone know how do i go about getting a new one?
Copey Posted February 5, 2009 Report Posted February 5, 2009 guess you would have to phone the DVLA and just explain whats gone on and see if they can help
bigdaz27 Posted February 5, 2009 Report Posted February 5, 2009 get a form from post office and apply for a new v5 did it once with a mk2 granny estate i saved from banger racing you might have to do a vic test but thats only to pvove its not stolen or ringed when you apply if you have to have one they will send you a letter telling you
FredTransit Posted February 5, 2009 Report Posted February 5, 2009 Are you sure the V5 has been scrapped? One of our Mk1 transits was supposedly down as scrapped. The previous owner must have thought it was going for scrap, but as he didn't see it into the scrap yard himself should not have sent the V5 off as such, technically he just sold it. I applied for a V5, and after 5 phone calls got through to a supervisor. They asked me if I bought it from a dealer (it's 36 years old, as if!) and I said I thought the seller was a banger racer. I offered to show them the van, but they said no need, and the V5 was with me within the week. In all though it took about 2 months, they didn't write to me, and I had to do all the enquiring and complaining. Worth it though. Apply for the log book, and if it doesn't arrive in 2 weeks, get on at them.
countrybumpkin Posted February 5, 2009 Author Report Posted February 5, 2009 definatly been sent off as scraped as i work with the guy whos given it to me i'll go down the post office tomorrow and see what forms are availble
FredTransit Posted February 5, 2009 Report Posted February 5, 2009 yep just apply for it as you normally would. They will attempt to contact the previous keeper. I think they have to issue the V5 if they get no reply, but no idea how long they wait. I didn't hassle them at forts cos it was coming up to Christmas at the time, and only started to hassle them in the new year. At first I thought the delay was the Christmas post.
caprinerd Posted February 6, 2009 Report Posted February 6, 2009 you will need to get the motor vic but before that you need to have an mot on it mate bought a vitara out of a breakers and i got it sorted for him then had the mot done and then booked it in for its vic and then it was vack on the road legal like
FredTransit Posted February 6, 2009 Report Posted February 6, 2009 I would only go for a VIC if I was told to do so. As I said I didn't with the van, and the V5 had been official scrapped. There is such a thing as too much information, if you apply for the V5 and wait, then call if it doesn't arrive, you are the innocent party and can behave as such. As to putting the car back on the road legally, you don't need a VIC to do this. As long as you get the V5 (and remember I did) you have to MOT it anyway. BUT I wouldn't spend any money until I got the V5. Well I did in the case of the Mk1 transit, but I would have kept it anyway, no matter what (and still have it).
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now