stevepeanut Posted October 29, 2009 Report Posted October 29, 2009 http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/features/h ... ions.shtml every kid round here over the last couple of years has pumpkins, our history goes back to the tradition of a turnip being used as a symbol for a dead/damned soul. Now its getting all americanised with pumpkins. I'm in the middle of convincing everyone I meet to buy a turnip this year. Too much of our culture is dying, so if you like this pass on the message. Turnips pumpkins
BIGKEV Posted October 29, 2009 Report Posted October 29, 2009 Sorry Steve Pumpkins are more fun - Turnips are well hard to carve plus I dont want my kids to be bullied by dressing up as a turnip instead of a pumpkin you crazy fool
stevepeanut Posted October 29, 2009 Author Report Posted October 29, 2009 Sorry Steve Pumpkins are more fun - Turnips are well hard to carve plus I dont want my kids to be bullied by dressing up as a turnip instead of a pumpkin you crazy fool haha
caprinerd Posted October 29, 2009 Report Posted October 29, 2009 turnips hurt more when someone chucks them at you as well my sons done a pumpkin for us as we were`nt going to bother and his partner has done one as well will get a pic up soon
Stu_B Posted October 29, 2009 Report Posted October 29, 2009 Sorry mate I've just finished making this
Andyonthejob Posted October 29, 2009 Report Posted October 29, 2009 I found a turnip in the fridge but it seems to be orange all the way thru !!!
BIGKEV Posted October 29, 2009 Report Posted October 29, 2009 Sorry mate I've just finished making this I'm likin Jack there - unfortunately I had to carve what my daughter wanted which tbh has taken all the fun out of it for me. that looks like my Jack from last year This one is for Steve - bloody great Turnip it was
caprinerd Posted October 29, 2009 Report Posted October 29, 2009 Sorry mate I've just finished making this how spooky is that and this is the one his partner has done
BIGKEV Posted October 30, 2009 Report Posted October 30, 2009 kev, did you use your capri chisels? just you wait till I show you my master peace lol quite handy with a chisel I'll have you know
Fishtailparka Posted October 30, 2009 Report Posted October 30, 2009 Although I shan't be buying either, I fully sympathise with you Steve. It quite pisses me off that kids go out "trick or treating". It's an American tradition FFS! Whatever happened to carved turnips and souling? It is a sad thing that our own traditions that have been around for probably thousands of years have been replaced by American traditions just because of TV programs.
pauln Posted October 30, 2009 Report Posted October 30, 2009 Although I shan't be buying either, I fully sympathise with you Steve.It quite pisses me off that kids go out "trick or treating". It's an American tradition FFS! Whatever happened to carved turnips and souling? It is a sad thing that our own traditions that have been around for probably thousands of years have been replaced by American traditions just because of TV programs. It's no wonder we have so many criminals, the children learn extortion at about age 4.
Mr Sam Posted October 30, 2009 Report Posted October 30, 2009 yup was taught at school pumpkins were braught in from america i dont like pumpkins or turnips so shant be doing eiter, ill also be sat i the dark hopeing the pesky kids think im out although last year when all the lil kiddies were out i kept beeping the klaxon at them scaring them good and propper
caprinerd Posted October 30, 2009 Report Posted October 30, 2009 we never get trick or treaters, or carole singers,
stevepeanut Posted October 30, 2009 Author Report Posted October 30, 2009 I'll be away from it all seeing if I can win some money to buy a new osf at the greyhounds
Mr Sam Posted October 30, 2009 Report Posted October 30, 2009 i will still be on cloud 9 after Box Hill
FredTransit Posted October 31, 2009 Report Posted October 31, 2009 Have to say we don't get bothered by trick or treaters. I don't think the parents like their little darlings picking their way between the vans, parts and spare wheels..... Works for me!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now