stevepeanut Posted July 6, 2010 Report Posted July 6, 2010 My cortina is in for its MOT today, I have to ring up mid afternoon to find out how its done. I am a bit paranoid, last year I was driving around in what I thought was a good safe capri, which turned out to be a death trap, hope the cortina is ok. I will report back later today with the results............
stevepeanut Posted July 6, 2010 Author Report Posted July 6, 2010 called in when they were halfway through, chassis and body are solid which is good news. Only big problem so far is the downpipes have holes, and the huge drainpipe exhaust is too loud to pass. Going back at 5 to pick it up and get the full list of anything that needs doing
stevepeanut Posted July 6, 2010 Author Report Posted July 6, 2010 list of failures which I am happy with cos theres not failure on rust, and the garage are very strict with mots 1 nearside windscreen wiper needed 2 front brake pads needed 3 downpipes blowing 4 center blowing 5 exhaust noise too loud pretty happy with that, 1 and 2 are easy although I dont have the money to buy a new exhaust at the moment so this might be on hold for a while
cortinasgoneforaburton Posted July 6, 2010 Report Posted July 6, 2010 could you put a standard exhaust on for the moment i bet there not that dear
stevepeanut Posted July 6, 2010 Author Report Posted July 6, 2010 could you put a standard exhaust on for the moment i bet there not that dear I would be well happy to do that, if I can find one at the right price but dunno where to get one from
bomber1 Posted July 6, 2010 Report Posted July 6, 2010 is it that loud sounds like the mot er is being niggly?
stevepeanut Posted July 6, 2010 Author Report Posted July 6, 2010 its pretty loud, just a straight through dranpipe on the back
FredTransit Posted July 6, 2010 Report Posted July 6, 2010 It only has to pass. Can you get your hands on anything that will fit? Are you on good terms with a local exhaust place? Maybe you can raid the scrap bin?
stevepeanut Posted July 6, 2010 Author Report Posted July 6, 2010 It only has to pass. Can you get your hands on anything that will fit? Are you on good terms with a local exhaust place? Maybe you can raid the scrap bin? even mot man says I can just slide a silencer on, doesnt even need welded, just needs to be quiet so it passes and he'll be happy. Downside is the manifold and centers having holes, but I might take them off and see if I can repair them with my mig
stevepeanut Posted July 7, 2010 Author Report Posted July 7, 2010 gonna give it a try Ben, depends if its weldable or not, whole system looks a bit orangey rust colour
stevepeanut Posted July 16, 2010 Author Report Posted July 16, 2010 got an mot now put on a new wiper new pads welded a metal pipe up the drainpipe silencer and a plate over the pipe to make it quiet (but it runs like shit lol) took the full system off and couldnt find anything blowing, it was all coming from the joins so the lads at the mot place have sorted that on the ramps (lots of gun gum I think) but well happy and its back on the road, well unless I sell it
stevepeanut Posted July 17, 2010 Author Report Posted July 17, 2010 dont want to sell it Phil, just skint the same as most people these days, but fingers crossed I'll afford to keep it
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now