Jiffer Posted July 11, 2010 Report Posted July 11, 2010 what should be the correct camber on a mk1 gt cortina? I have set what I think is the right amount of positive camber 30mm but the tracking is a mile out, and when I adjust the track rod ends I run out of adjustment and the wheels are still toeing in? cheers
Jiffer Posted July 11, 2010 Author Report Posted July 11, 2010 I really am struggling on this one and I would love to have this ready for the retro show
bortaf Posted July 11, 2010 Report Posted July 11, 2010 How are you adjusting the camber? it's not adjustable on the standard susspension? only the trcking is? sorry if i've missed a big thread describing your set up
Jiffer Posted July 11, 2010 Author Report Posted July 11, 2010 sorry mate should have explained better. I have just fitted a steering conversion from box to rack, in the fitting instuctions it says to put 30mm of camber on each of the front wheels, now I have done that I cant set the tracking without the ball joint droping of the end, I have looked at my mk2 cortina and cant see as that has anywhere near the camber as this is saying in the instuctions it needs so I was wondering what? if any camber came as standard on a gt mk1 cortina just so I can track it. the chap who supplied the kit(Alan Dent) is away and was just seeing if I could get some guidence from here to get me going
over_head_cam Posted July 11, 2010 Report Posted July 11, 2010 30 mm of camber (pos OR neg) sounds like a lot to me. Could you set the camber to 0 and then try and set the tracking? Are you using the adjustable bottom 'A' arm kit or an anti-roll bar and TCA's?
Jiffer Posted July 11, 2010 Author Report Posted July 11, 2010 I am using an A arm kit no longer have an anti roll bar, I have been playing with the camber and other adjustments all afternoon and now got it some where close hopefully driveable.
over_head_cam Posted July 11, 2010 Report Posted July 11, 2010 30 mm camber (normally measured in degrees) still sounds a lot to me. Are you sure it's not meant to be castor? If you dropped a string line down from the centre of the top mount and measured to the middle of the bottom rod end (bottom swivel/ball joint), 30mm would be about 4 or 5 degrees of castor (front to back angle)
Jiffer Posted July 11, 2010 Author Report Posted July 11, 2010 I think I have it right with castor/camber, caster I set with plumb bob down from centre of top mount and had a set mesurement, the camber if I've got it right is how much the wheels lean in, positive when they are closer at the top and futher out at the bottom and negitive is the opisite (so I am led to belive) I was told to put a level on the tyre at the bottom up through the centre in a vertical line and with the level touching the bottom of the tyre it should have a 30mm gap at the top. dont know if this is to much, but with it set like this I run out of adjustment on the track rod ends and cant get it tracked. Louie Bagel is bringing some tracking kit from his works tuesday so want to make sure I have it ready for him
over_head_cam Posted July 11, 2010 Report Posted July 11, 2010 I see m8. 30 mm looks like it will give you about 4-5 degrees which is more than twice as much as you need I think. Having a search around it seems that 1 or 2 degrees of negative (top of wheel in) camber is right for a Cortina. It will help with your bits dropping off
bortaf Posted July 12, 2010 Report Posted July 12, 2010 perhapas 30mm is total? 15mm each side, that does look a lot when you think the camber increases as the susspension compresses top in is neg top out is posative camber and i'd do it on the wheel not the tyre as the bottom of the tyer bulges with the weight of the car ?? never ever done any susspension setting up using the tyre, even tracking is done on the wheel never the tyre
Tom Posted July 12, 2010 Report Posted July 12, 2010 Plus your spirit level isn't dead straight so it looks like you'll have more like 40mm there Never seen it done that way before - i like it
Jiffer Posted July 12, 2010 Author Report Posted July 12, 2010 Plus your spirit level isn't dead straight so it looks like you'll have more like 40mm there Never seen it done that way before - i like it dont matter about my levels I allways keep them in the freezer
PIG Posted July 12, 2010 Report Posted July 12, 2010 i know its an escort but i set my last one at i think 1.5 degrees of camber and 6 degrees of castor.maybe different on a tina tho.try dial in as much cast as you can is genrally what you look for in an escort.not sure if this helps alot with it being a cortina tho
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now