Christmas songs, love them or hate them?

Vista

For the most part I hate them, not because they're christmassy but because they're frequently crap / cheesy or bloody awful songs that are bought up by the thousand for the schmaltzy message they portray (granma we love you ring any bells with anyone?)

However there are some exceptions so here are my christmas favourites as a christmas wish to you all:

The first from 1975 couldn't be set in a less traditional christmassy location, the Sinai desert in Israel and the West bank. Not sure what's with the Vietnam war footage either but I've always loved the song which was originally intended as a protest against the commercialization of Christmas (Think you failed to get your message across Greg but nice try).

RXCEdrnaFlY

The second from 1983, a musical account of real life events during the first world war when a brief truce was declared by various units across the western front and the opposing sides exchanged gifts and played football in no-mans land on Christmas day.............only to be shooting at each other again the next day, go figure the logic in that

sa7Wwmuo9yY

Another 80's classic. Also a protest song but with a confused theme between the video and the lyrics. It's also set in the trenches during the first world war but referencing Churchill who was then First Lord of the Admiralty (so nothing to do with the western front at all really) and later nuclear fallout

5hVEdE0O5tA

And finally, no cheese or schmaltz about this one. RIP Kirsty MaColl

HwHyuraau4Q

Merry Christmas to all on OSF, I hope Santa is good to you all and that all of you who've had a bad time in 2011 enjoy better fortunes in 2012 :thumbsup::beer::beer: