2litreScapri Posted July 6, 2012 Report Posted July 6, 2012 Hey all, Just replacing my exhaust system & manifold, and removed the stud bolts upon removal of the original manifold. Labelled each one up to put them back in the order they came out, so should have been simple. Unfortunately, the bolts on cylinder 3 do not seem to be rethreading back into position, they tighten up way too early. Any advice on what to do before I go put them back in? I don't want to bodge the thread
rallyesport04 Posted July 7, 2012 Report Posted July 7, 2012 get yourself a tap to clean the thread up with you can clean the thread up on the stud with a file if you know a mechanic the chances are they will hav a tap an die set or thread restoring set handy
James HPE Motorsport Posted July 9, 2012 Report Posted July 9, 2012 i agree with running a tap through the threads! I would do it to all of them, not just the ones you are having probs with! I would also replace the studs with new as the heat from the exhaust makes the studs very brittle and if you are lucky enough to get them back in without snapping, I would be surprised if you could get them out again in the future without problems! For the sake of a couple of quid, fit new studs and nuts and dont be shy with the copper slip
MK2Ed Posted July 11, 2012 Report Posted July 11, 2012 You can get a tap and die set via an e-bay supplier for < £20
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now