imjustachef Posted January 24, 2015 Report Posted January 24, 2015 I've just finished putting my mk2 Cortina back together and can't get the petrol gauge to work all clues point to the sender unit in the tank, I've fitted two which I happened to have, neither have worked ! is there a way of testing them to see if they are working ? and if both are broken is there a way to fix them ?
mk1del Posted January 24, 2015 Report Posted January 24, 2015 Tip to try to make sure it is sender not bad earth ,with ignition off ground the main wire to body, then turn ignition on ,the gauge should then go up, if it doesn't, then a gauge or wire fault,, if they work ok connect main wire back to sender, then get apiece of wire to a good earth then touch it to body of sender then put ignition on again, if still no good then assume sender faulty, I have had it before where the tank didn't earth to body thus same problem no reading , hope this helps and makes sense 1
imjustachef Posted January 25, 2015 Author Report Posted January 25, 2015 Thanks I'll try earthing the tank today, both the tank and the boot floor have a good covering of fresh paint on them and I'm sure that one of the senders was working when I ripped the car apart.
Admin Vista Posted January 25, 2015 Admin Report Posted January 25, 2015 Poor earthing of the tank to body/chassis is a definite source of problems
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now