Admin Vista Posted September 6, 2007 Admin Report Posted September 6, 2007 1) They look much further ahead, so they actually have longer to react. Other drivers are much more aware of what is coming up behind them, since there is a constant threat of 180mph 911s belting up behind you, it makes you think twice about pulling out when you see some xenons coming up behind you. They all drive very consideratly for example if you are in lane 2 with trucks in lane 1 and faster traffic in lan3, and your are approaching a vehicle going slower than you. As you glance in your mirrors and reach for your indicator the chap in lane 3 has already dropped back a few metres and had flashed you to say there is enough room to get in. As soon as you can pull back in, you pull back in. Then lane 3 zooms off again. There is no risk unless something unexpected happens like some British fuckwit in an old Rover dithers off a sliproad straight into lane 3 doing 80mph. 2) Then don't brake randomly. In Germany its viewed as your fault if you get rear ended on the autobahn. You should not brake unless you absolutely have too, you should get out of that lane and make room for faster traffic, or just speed up. I think what car you are driving might have something to do with how safe you feel. If you car has crap brakes then don't try and do 140mph up the arse of someone else. Just sit in the inside lanes and keep it below the ton. Another common misconception is people tend to think they are being tailgated, when actually the car behind is just slip streaming you to save fuel. I once on my way back from Stuttgart in an A8 4.2 sat with 6 other cars doing 155mph for about 30 mins on the A5 Autobahn on the derestricted 3 lane bit south of Frankfurt. That's so much nonsense it's laughable. You can look as far ahead as you want, if the guy you're 6" behind has any kind of mechanical failure, illness, christ even something as daft as a bird strike on the windscreen, you will not have time to react and will certainly hit him and most probably kill him and yourself too, the difference is he won't deserve to die through your stupidity whereas you do. (by you I mean the driver of the following car, rather than you specifically) Fuckwit or not, the first rule of accident avoidance is always "expect the unexpected and be prepared for it if it happens." As a general rule of thumb, if your car has crap brakes it's also unlikely to have genuine 140mph performance. Slipstreaming to save fuel? If he can afford an M5 / dog the round ones 911 I doubt saving tuppence happeny on a gallon of super scores very high on the list
quattro Posted September 6, 2007 Report Posted September 6, 2007 I agree with you completely. I personally feel much safer driving in Germany than I do driving in the UK. I've done probably half of all my mileage abroad and I have only ever seen 1 accident, which as it happens was caused by a blowout. However in the UK I see about an accident a week usually on the M25 because someone just pulled out on someone, or because people panic brake everytime they see something slightly reflective like a royal mail van. Driving in the UK I am extremely cautious of the other drivers as no one seems to pay attention. I watched a Police car on the motorway get stuck behind a Discovery who would not move out of lane 3, how the hell can anyone not notice a white volvo with umpteen strobes and leds flashing away, oh and a loud siren... People really are shit at driving. Slipstreaming also makes it a bit quiter, wind and road noise at 130mph plus can get a little on the loud side, slipstreaming helps tone it down a bit.
stephens_xpack Posted September 6, 2007 Report Posted September 6, 2007 I think someone is missing the point
quattro Posted September 6, 2007 Report Posted September 6, 2007 I think someone is missing the point Yeah probably.... Lets just concentrate on getting the feck'in pictures!
capriaddict Posted September 9, 2007 Author Report Posted September 9, 2007 Look in here..... http://www.oldskoolford.co.uk/phpBB2/vi ... highlight= here.. http://www.oldskoolford.co.uk/phpBB2/vi ... highlight= and here.. http://www.oldskoolford.co.uk/phpBB2/vi ... highlight=
GJUK Posted September 9, 2007 Report Posted September 9, 2007 Look in here..... http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296 ... 200952.jpg here.. http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296 ... 200952.jpg and here.. http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296 ... 200952.jpg Mean this? http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q296 ... lland2007/
capriaddict Posted September 9, 2007 Author Report Posted September 9, 2007 Look in here..... http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296 ... 200952.jpg here.. http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296 ... 200952.jpg and here.. http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296 ... 200952.jpg Mean this? http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q296 ... lland2007/ Doh! i'm a dumbass, have edited the post now
mk1mexico Posted September 9, 2007 Report Posted September 9, 2007 Great pics and wheels look lovely but..........
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now