antz Posted May 22, 2009 Report Posted May 22, 2009 Who else finds this the ultimate sin? Its weird that people spend hundreds of pounds on some lovely wheels then slap about 40grams of weight on the outside of each wheel…it looks horrible! I picked my car up from the garage last night and he said 'your wheels were a tad out of balance so I had them balanced for you' and I looked at my wheels to find 40grams stuck on the dish of each wheel….my instant thought was 'MY LOVELY WHEELS!!...RUINED!!!' but I thought id give them a go as the steering has always been a bit rough. Drove 20miles home with them on and it made ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE so first thing I did was rip the buggers off. I hate it when people put weights on the outside of wheels
SmokeEm Posted May 22, 2009 Report Posted May 22, 2009 Any decent tyre depot should be able to balance from the inside rim. It's just a case of pushing a button on the machine
Noodles Posted May 22, 2009 Report Posted May 22, 2009 I had my wheels all powder coated then they stuck silver weights on the outside so I had to mask em up and spray the weight
Admin Mk2Jo Posted May 22, 2009 Admin Report Posted May 22, 2009 You just need to request sticky weights on the inside of the wheel instead
antz Posted May 22, 2009 Author Report Posted May 22, 2009 thing is i had them balanced a couple of months ago and specifically requested weights on the inside which they did. then the garage went and got them rebalanced and put them on the outside too! bloody great big things right on the dish of my wheels....luckily they came off easily and didnt chip the paint
Fishtailparka Posted May 22, 2009 Report Posted May 22, 2009 Lots of wheel weights are usually the result of buying cheap crappy tyres.
Conor Posted May 22, 2009 Report Posted May 22, 2009 I picked my car up from the garage last night and he said 'your wheels were a tad out of balance so I had them balanced for you' and I looked at my wheels to find 40grams stuck on the dish of each wheel…. Nooooo.... I never ever have stuck on weights on my Capper rims. I always have hammer on ones. And I also don't subscribe to the "no weights on the outside" rule either. Why? Because you don't get as good a balance and on a RWD OSF, you get an even worse one due to the offset of the rim basically meaning any weights you put at the back of the "hub" need to be far larger than they should be to have the desired effect at the outer edge. If it were a modern FWD car though, no weights on show is the way to go but I think with an OSF, unless you're running something like polished minilites, hammer on ones are perfectly OK. Should only need 10-20 grams though if you buy decent tyres.
caprinerd Posted May 22, 2009 Report Posted May 22, 2009 i just asked them for the stick on weights and they done them with out any probs and as smokey says any decent tyre fitters should do this with out having to ask
OldskoolSue Posted May 22, 2009 Report Posted May 22, 2009 I used to ask them to put the weights on the inside of my deep dish alloys when i had them wasnt a problem for them at all,i agree it looks fooking ugly on the outside.
Mr Sam Posted May 22, 2009 Report Posted May 22, 2009 my wheels suffer from this unless you specifically ASK them to stick them on the inside they just stick up on the outside
mk1super Posted May 23, 2009 Report Posted May 23, 2009 Lad that did my wheels popped the weights on the inside cos as he said "Weights on the outside look shite"
Fishtailparka Posted May 23, 2009 Report Posted May 23, 2009 Are weights not put onto the outside because that is where they are needed? I thought they were put on the side where they needed to be put to balance the wheels. I understand the wish to have them out of sight, but do they do what they are supposed to if they are on the wrong side? As said above.....buftys!!
wolf666 Posted May 23, 2009 Report Posted May 23, 2009 at r place ATS EUROMASTER we balance them on the inside it just looks cleaner to
deltamal Posted May 23, 2009 Report Posted May 23, 2009 Ive got 3 set's of wheels, 14" revos, 13" escy mk 2 alloys, and 15" minilites, all balanced on the inside with no probs, good quality tyres though....
jambo77 Posted May 24, 2009 Report Posted May 24, 2009 it all depends on the fitter and equipment. a lazy fitter will just bang on a static weight on the inner rim, if he can't be bothered you will get bang on weights on both rims, a bit more effort and you will get stick on weights just inside the inner rim and behind the face of the wheel ( out of sight ) or if he is good with good equipment you can get the weight pinpointed to a single point normally about central between the beads. but it's true cheep tyres = more balance weights due to denser patches of rubber during the tyres construction.
SebringRS Posted May 24, 2009 Report Posted May 24, 2009 My dad hates tht aswell, gotta admit it doesnt look good, especially if there realy nice rims
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now