Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

no..no..no... castrol R is a vegtable based oil used in old classic two stroke motorcycles and sometimes in classic car gearbox's.

 

If you drop a very small amount into your tank it smells excellent but too much and you will smoke all the way down the road............. I also run AVGAS in my escort on occasion as I can get it from a local airfield and its no dearer than pump fuel but its over 103 octaine........

Posted
any one got any ideas 2 get it up 2 150bhp im thinkin aloy head twin 45's and a custom manifold

 

As I said m8, my spec is almost the same as yours apart from the 45's and a decent custom manifold and has 153 bhp on T&R's rollers, would probably get a few more horses if I took it somewhere else.

Rolling roads are all different , if you go to 10 different ones you'll get 10 different results . I doubt if many will be as high as 153 bhp though , you should take it elsewhere and see though for a comparision :think:
Posted
I'm still youngish and I know what you meen :wink: - that's the best bit about going to Speedway - umm Castrol R :P

 

Is that what makes the National Hot Rods smell so good??

Posted

those engines use castrol R40 racing oil inside the engines . The engine has to be built with it from day one though as it won't mix with any other oil types . Adding a drop of castrol two-stroke oil to your petrol smells the same though :D

Posted

B H P GAZ is dead right............wahtever yoy do DO NOT PUT CASTROL R30 OR R40 into your engines or gearbox's.............. this does not mix with modern synthetic oils.......... it is what hot rods and speedway bikes use, its a really heavy oil but in two strokes it mixes well with petrol to lube the engine...........

Posted
any one got any ideas 2 get it up 2 150bhp im thinkin aloy head twin 45's and a custom manifold

 

As I said m8, my spec is almost the same as yours apart from the 45's and a decent custom manifold and has 153 bhp on T&R's rollers, would probably get a few more horses if I took it somewhere else.

Rolling roads are all different , if you go to 10 different ones you'll get 10 different results . I doubt if many will be as high as 153 bhp though , you should take it elsewhere and see though for a comparision :think:

 

Well its well know that Track & Road have very reliable rollers and its also quite well know that Sanspeeds rollers read a couple of bhp more.

 

A member of this site had their car tested at both places a day after each other and T&R was the lowest by just a few bhp.(It was very close, but as you say you'll get ten different readings).

 

When compared to engine dyno's that read accuratly (HT Racing's for eg.) T&R always come out on top.

 

 

So I'm confident if I took my x-flow to Sanspeed on any other rollers for that matter I wouldn't have less that 153 bhp. (All being well :wink: )

Posted

I was just reading an old issue of classic ford and they had an alan mann stylee mk1 escort on the front cover. I looked at the spec, and that was running 40's and made 170 at the fly! ill check what issue in the morning, too tired now :lol: (its 2 am)

Posted

Bored to 1700 using 1300 pistons.

Twin 45's

41/35mm Valves.

KC 244 cam

Balenced bottom end, lightened flywheel.

1 3/4" 4 into 1 manifold, by Powerspeed.

Bestek electronic igniton @ 38 deg adv.

 

153.1 bhp @ 7391 rpm

 

121.4 lbft @ 6124 rpm

Posted

steve are you going to run it on anymore rolling roads next year for a comparison then ? :cheers2:

Posted

I had mine on a few different ones and they where all within 10 bhp of each other when the engine was in tune . They where all within 10 bhp of each other when it was out of tune as well . Two of them were within 2 bhp of each other , so very close . I'm going to put my new engine on lots of them when it's all working just to see the difference again , for science sake :D

Posted
Bored to 1700 using 1300 pistons.

Twin 45's

41/35mm Valves.

KC 244 cam

Balenced bottom end, lightened flywheel.

1 3/4" 4 into 1 manifold, by Powerspeed.

Bestek electronic igniton @ 38 deg adv.

 

153.1 bhp @ 7391 rpm

 

121.4 lbft @ 6124 rpm

 

well the only things different is the 45's and the manifold

Posted

Make sure the head is well ported, unlike some engines (pinto for eg.) the x-flow has very small ports. As I have said small improvements here mean big difference to the horsepower.

 

Pay attention to the inlet manifold, often overlooked and just bolted on, but its really an extension of the cylinder head port and needs to be ported as such. :wink:

 

Start cutting corners on the rebuild and you'll lose horsepower left right and centre. Pay attention to the small details and you benfit from a x-flow more powerful than everybody elses.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...