EscortHeadCase Posted June 28, 2010 Report Posted June 28, 2010 It all started on Friday when on my way home up the M23 just before pease pottage the bolt in the chassis end of my offside anti tramp decided he wanted out and left me with the bar running along the ground, Managed to wedge the bar and tie it so I could make it off the hard shoulder. Then proceeded to take the tramp bars off. Saturday I had a lovely cruise out in her with my Gf and all was lovely (timing was slightly off but that was about it) Sunday, round a mates quickly then just popping home at about 2:30 when i pull up at a roundabout on a dual carriageway and when i go to pull away in the right hand lane......the throttle cable snaps at the pedal. So i push it out the way with people looking at me like I had a swastika tattooed on my forehead. Then spend half an hour stripping and re threading the cable back through the top of the pedal. Upside down in a hot footwell was not fun. I'm all happy as I get home. But as i pull up i notice that at idle I can hear a faint knocking in the car. Popped the bonnet and at low revs my bottom end has a lovely knock to it. Noticed that the dipstick was twitching in time to the knock and tried to pull it out, It was jammed in there hard but when I eventually got it out it was bent like a banana at the end. So the pinto is coming out. BUT...... And now the big question. My dad has offered me a 140bhp 1640 crossflow on 40s that he bought to go in a cortina shell he has. But since finding out that the shell is that of a Savage. He wants to restore it properly. Making the xflow up for grabs. Do i take the pinto out, get it fixed and put back. Buy another pinto and sling it in. Or do the necessary to run the xflow? What work would be needed to fit the xflow in the pintos place? im running a standard pinto, type 9, single piece prop, wcxm and leccy fuel pump with a regulator. At the end of the day I will be going back to a pinto because I love them however if i went back id want to save up and put a nice 2.2 etc in there, which is why im tempted by the xflow.... heres my engine bay
emu Posted June 28, 2010 Report Posted June 28, 2010 I assume you have tried running it with the dipstick out?? As for the crossflow, a pair of engine mounts, a rear bowl sump, rad hoses and an exhaust manifold should get you up and running I would have thought
Admin Vista Posted June 28, 2010 Admin Report Posted June 28, 2010 If you're keen to return to using a pinto then I'd just get yours fixed or a drop a replacement lump in until you have the funds for the engine you want.
EscortHeadCase Posted June 28, 2010 Author Report Posted June 28, 2010 Yeah running with the dipstick out is no different sadly, i was kinda hoping it was just the dipstick causing the knock but ah well. I think im only tempted because of the power. I think i should do whatever will get me back out driving it the fastest. As I've paid for tax and the sun is out. If I want to do anything lengthy it can wait till the winter etc. Nothing like a xflow screaming its tits off on 40s though....
Savvi Posted June 28, 2010 Report Posted June 28, 2010 Depends on how much the X/flow is and if you know that's a good engine that has has all the work done mentioned to a good standard ? I think you will be surprised at how well a tuned X/flow goes, and i'd probably keep an X/flow if it was mine
emu Posted June 29, 2010 Report Posted June 29, 2010 Yeah running with the dipstick out is no different sadly, i was kinda hoping it was just the dipstick causing the knock but ah well. Thats what I was hoping for you when you said it was faint AND wiggling the dipstick. Mine did that until the crank wore through the dipstick and it droppedto the bottom of the sump, then thats where it stayed The crossflow sound like a good plan provided it isnt going to cost you a fortune to get in there??
rallyesport04 Posted June 29, 2010 Report Posted June 29, 2010 to me the most sensible option would be to put another pinto bottom end in it an save the pennies for the 2.2 if you put a x flow in it you will be buying parts that you have no intention of keeping then spend time swapping/converting for no reason x flows are real screamers an i love them but it just seems pointless fitting it if you want somthing else
EscortHeadCase Posted July 2, 2010 Author Report Posted July 2, 2010 haha ill buy a BDG while im at it...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now