Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Well, ive been thinking about this idea for a long time. This post is just to gauge intrest in the first instance. I am sure that there are plenty of people out there who want somewhere either indoors or havent got any where to store or work on there projects.

 

 

I work in the property business where I deal partly with aquiring buildings for clients, and I have access to a lot of property that a potential deal can be done. My plan is to find an industrial unit where space can be rented to work on the car for a minimum period.

 

You bring your own tools, equipment etc... and share the cost of the building, for a reasonable rent. The larger the building that is rented the more cars can go in and keep costs down.

 

I do know that there are various issues to overcome like insurance, everyone paying there rent on time or in advance, but for the mean time I look forward to getting some intrest on this idea.

Posted

I've just started looking around as my garage isn't attached to my house, which is fine for storage but hard when it comes to doing any work on the car.

 

I could be interested in sharing some sort of unit with electricity as long as it wasn't too expensive and too far away from home (Basildon Essex)

 

and most importantly secure enough so I can sleep at night!!

 

So far i've found a space in a unit for approx 2 cars and he wants £80 per month storage, and more if you want to use the leccy (£100ish) which I thought was a bit strong tbh

Posted

Good idea but i would be surprised if it will work :oops:

 

Finding a place to be able to use as motor trade is hard, most landlords see it as a noisey messy job or hobby and dont want the hassle.

 

Speaking from someone if who rents somewhere on a farm because of the above, everytime i looked at units the rent was insane or they didnt want cars there also units have allocated parking spaces, so it would need to be a big enough building to ensure parking spaces inside for anyone driving to work on the "project" cars.

 

You would also have business rate i would assume.

 

 

Also insurance would be a problem, you would need public liabilty and everyone would have to make sure their own tools equipment and cars were covered and security is a risk.

 

However having said all of the above ............ there maybe a way around it all by forming a "car club" with a paid membership to cover all of the above including it's own insurance to cover memebers car & equipment ?

 

Although the cost per member could be higher you know that if something happens your covered ?

This might also tempt landlords into a better deal and let the unit to you as a single club rather then a "bunch of mates" of whome he has no one in particular to chase any unpaid rents.

 

You would have to have a comittee treasure etc. to run it but may be able to get some sort of grant to do so.

 

 

Just my own opinion and bleak views / reality of the life we live in :lol:

 

 

P.s £100 per month with electric for 2 cars is dirt cheap around here, my mates paying twice that to run a motorbike repair business which you couldn't park one car in the space he has !!!

Posted
I've just started looking around as my garage isn't attached to my house, which is fine for storage but hard when it comes to doing any work on the car.

 

I could be interested in sharing some sort of unit with electricity as long as it wasn't too expensive and too far away from home (Basildon Essex)

 

and most importantly secure enough so I can sleep at night!!

 

So far i've found a space in a unit for approx 2 cars and he wants £80 per month storage, and more if you want to use the leccy (£100ish) which I thought was a bit strong tbh

 

i would have that if it was closer paying £60 a week with elecy for just enough room for 2 escorts

Posted

I think the overheads would kill this idea and security will have to be very good as im sure word would get around the scumags very quick of a warehouse full of osf's etc

sorry tobe a barhumbug :(

Posted

A romantic idea.

Unfortunately can't see it working. Some people using it more than others, security, insurance and bet my savings there will be people who don't pay on time if at all. Sorry ,as I said great idea but not practical in the real world :(

Posted

its a good idea but you`d have to be really good mates for it to work as the trust in each other would be put to the test tools parts and money all being part of the trust needed

Posted

Thanks for the feedback guys and I will keep looking for somewhere in the South East. I have regular contact with Landlords and know of places where the Landlord just wants someone in.

 

Security and Insurance can be arranged, providing there are enough people interested. I do think that a club would be a good idea and if you take a que from retro rides forum they have managed to find some where.

 

Keep the ideas coming guys and of course girls.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...