Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

So I got a bit bored today and decided to fit up my 'new' twin cam anti roll bar and mounts and adjustable TCA's. 'An hours work, tops' I said to myself.

Nope

The n/s arb mount needed re-drilling. So i did that, no dramas, and fitted it.

Started fitting the art and found it fouls the oil filter. bugger, nothing I can do about that today so decided to fit the TCA's

The inner TCA bolt is larger so I have to drill out the crossmember. Again, not a drama. So I lie down and start drilling. No more than 4 turns of the drill and it stopped in a cloud of smoke. Oh, that'll be a drill then please. ffs

 

No real major problems to deal with and all very do-able, Its just a pain in the arse when you want something done, today! lol

 

Oh well tomorrow's another day - Anyone know of a shorter oil filter that'll fit an XE? needs to be 20-25mm shorter

Ta

Posted

Always the way! I thought i'd spend 2 minutes securing a loose wire the other day. 8 hours later i had the whole dash apart replacing most of the loom! Bloody cars! :mrgreen:

Posted

Matt - yeah I saw that but you need to buy an adaptor as the threads different. Last resort maybe, I've still got a whole day of weekend left to buy filters that don't fit! Lol

 

Phil - if you were here today mate I'm sure you would've cut and shut the filter that's on there! Anyway I'll be booking you up for arches, tank well and rear panel next year! Lol

 

Apparently a 2.0 Hyundai one fits and I even have the halfrauds part number for it!

Posted

Well that number was wrong! Lol

So after 20 mins of opening all the oil filter boxes, despite being told not to - twice, I found the filter I want. HOF252 just so you know

 

Now I just gotta get me some more garage time, dear

Lol

Posted

Yeah I think thats gonna be the next step. The filter I've got is 60mm long and i don't think i'll get one much shorter than that to clear it.

 

Any idea where to get the shorter, non cooler filter bolt from?

Posted

Yeah I'll rung them tomorrow and have an ask - they're only round the corner.

 

Whilst I've got you there, do you know what castor a tc arb should give when fitted? It's in tc mounts, no anti dive and the car's 2" lowered

 

Also I noticed that the dome washers they gave me with it were huge. Is there a reason for that? I didn't like them so fitted the standard ones

 

Ta

Posted

Cheers Wayne, I got the adapter from sbd so I can remove the cooler and run the standard filter. Job done

Posted

Ok, so I got it all fitted up. Adjusted the camber and tracking by eye and hoped the castor would be ok with no spacing.

I've got to say i'm impressed. The handling has much improved, it feels more solid through the corners. You can now actually feel the outside front wheel getting its grip - the newly acquired steering feedback is brilliant. I'd recommend a twin cam anti roll bar to anyone with a lowered car. It's even improved braking, before it would get squirly and lock up before, it seemed, that it had done any slowing down. But now the braking feels a lot more progressive and predictable. Nice

 

But, to carry on my moaning. Fitted my 2.8 'box today - no problem. Rear main - no problem. Massive vibration at 4.5k in 5th - problem. I dunno what i've done, It's a real heavy vibration but only for around 200rpm (loaded and over run) it's got to be a balance issue but i'm fooked if i can think what it is. I marked the flywheel, new bolts, properly torqued etc. Any ideas?

 

Oh and my manta sump didn't fit. Got it all fitted up, modded a pick up pipe, checked manifold clearance etc. Everything was going great until I went to put the rack back on f**k s**t c**t b*****ks. Back on with the old sump.

 

 

Nothings ever simple........

Posted

That's so annoying it would send me into an apoplectic rage (I like that word.

 

On the vibration issue, the first thing that springs to my mind is the propshaft. Is it a 2-piece job?

 

What do you think of the new gearbox ratios?

Posted

Nah single piece mate. I think its engine, it goes when i dip the clutch. So its engine speed rather than road speed.

 

The ratios are much better, I held the 1st gear slide for a lot longer as i pulled off the forecourt at work. lol

 

I just know i'm gonna have to take that fooking 'box out again :evil:

Posted

Wouldn't help mate as it's mounted on the x member

 

Any ideas what I've done re the vibration before I strip the fooking thing out again?

Posted

have you tried rotating the prop on the bolts to see if it helps, its a quick simple job but worth a try if the problem wasnt there before, if i remember rightly the prop can only go on 2 ways

Posted

Yeah I tried that this afternoon mate. It's gotta be the clutch or flywheel as I've noticed the vibration in neutral now.

Fuggit I hate doing jobs twice!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...