HotRodMatt Posted March 1, 2014 Report Posted March 1, 2014 Hi all, I'm just after a bit of advice on my fuel pump set up. I have a fuel cell in the boot of my Mk1 and I have fitted a Facet Silver Top Competition pump to supply the fuel. The pump is mounted lower than the tank, however the tank outlet is in the top of the tank (with a pick up pipe inside to the bottom of the tank) and not the bottom. Here's how it looks (before the inline filter was fitted). I'm wondering if the pump will be strong enough to draw the fuel UP out of the tank then down to the pump inlet? I have an inline filter between the tank and pump, will the pump be able to pull the fuel through this? Should I fit a non return valve? Cheers Matt
katana Posted March 1, 2014 Report Posted March 1, 2014 Those pumps are able to 'suck' up about a foot relatively easily so should be ok. A non return will add a degree of restriction in the line if you run dry they become pointless - i'd leave it out! Could the tank outlet be changed to a 90 deg fitting to avoid the extra 'loop' which is adding height to the draw?
HotRodMatt Posted March 1, 2014 Author Report Posted March 1, 2014 I'll have a look next time I'm in the workshop if the outlet can be changed. Will it pull fuel through the filter OK or should I run without one? (Not keen on that to be honest.)
Andrade Posted March 2, 2014 Report Posted March 2, 2014 Before I fitted it to the car I had tested my red top facet on the bench, with a fuel can on the floor.. So I'd say you're safe Inside the car though the inlet is in the bottom side of the tank. Below are some photos of my setup while I was still building the car.
HotRodMatt Posted March 2, 2014 Author Report Posted March 2, 2014 Thanks mate, sounds like it will be up to the job! Very nice work by the way...
Andrade Posted March 2, 2014 Report Posted March 2, 2014 Thanks! But keep in mind mine is red top not silver top. If you want to be 100% sure just pour some fuel in the tank, and aim the pump to some container or back in the tank itself, won't take more than a few minutes to try out for your own peace of mind
HotRodMatt Posted March 2, 2014 Author Report Posted March 2, 2014 That's what I think I'll do, disconnect at the carbs and switch the pump on.
Andrade Posted March 2, 2014 Report Posted March 2, 2014 That's what I think I'll do, disconnect at the carbs and switch the pump on.
HotRodMatt Posted March 15, 2014 Author Report Posted March 15, 2014 Right, got it tested and it works, seems to pull through the filter OK. Not as big a flow at the front end as I expected but the regulator is set at 3-4psi and there's nothing for it to push against until I reconnect the fuel line to the carbs so it should be fine.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now