Moved house

Fozzy48

I haven't been on for a bit due to moving house. We moved to lincolnshire from Sheffield a week ago now and we're loving it.

Today we went and brought the RS over. It was kept at the outlaws garage since I've had it which was 8 miles away from our old home. A few weeks prior to moving I noticed that the starter was making a right racket for a second or 2 before it started. Anyway, today after a 2 hour drive to collect it, it wouldn't start due to the starter just spinning and not engaging onto the flywheel. I had decided I didn't want to leave it there any longer due to my in law going away on holiday for a week and the fact  that whilst I was trying to get It going I noticed a dodgy looking lad sat across the road. He may have been totally innocent and nothing may have come of it, but I wasn't willing to find out. So, I towed it out the garage with the wife's car and bumped it down the street. This gave me another slight problem in the respect I was gonna need enough fuel for the 100 mile journey. As it happened once it was started I got to the nearest filling station and got onto a pump where the garage doris couldn't see it was still running whilst I filled it up. All I needed to do then was to drive it all the way without stalling it. This I managed to do and it's now in my garage, which is still full of stuff to unpack. 

It looking like the starter maybe knackered but will get it off and check it.

Fozzy

20180517_175331.jpg

20180517_175322.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, dt36 said:

Have a look on eBay for a seller called APOldham. Really helpful guy and good service. 

Got a high torque starter from him after repairing my old one at least twice. Been perfect since. 

Thanks buddy, i'll have a look. :thumbsup:

Fozzy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, colr6 said:

You need to prioritise now, leave the house to the Doris and get the garage sorted !!

Everytime I go in mate I just stand there and think, where the f### am I gonna start.   :shock: :?

Fozzy

12 minutes ago, Fozzy48 said:

How much was that mate.

Fozzy

I think this might have been it.

Give the guy a ring or message with the number I quoted you just to confirm, as I was unsure about my bellhousing. 

Spins over really fast compared to the old one. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F281589317727

Looks like I've found the problem. The gear has smashed. Can these be bought seperately and fitted or is it a case of a new starter.

Just looked, are they having a laugh,

38 quid :?. I know burton are expensive but surely that's taking the piss. 

Who else can I try before I have to get the wallet out for that. I wouldn't mind so much but the starter looks relatively new so don't want to replace it all if I can help it. 

Fozzy

20180521_121504.jpg

On 21/05/2018 at 14:09, katana said:

Find out why it smashed first or you'll be buying another one in short order!

I ordered a new edge starter tooth gear from burton and asked the question if they go often. They had sold 5 + mine in the last 12 months. I think they are weaker than the traditional type and being cast too won't help I suspect. 

Fozzy