Electric brake servo vacuum pump?

caprilaser

I've put a Yb turbo in my cortina and am looking at the options for keeping my brake servo. As there won't be enough vacuum from the inlet manifold I was thinking of using an electric vacuum pump if I can find one. Does anyone know of any cars that were fitted with then as standard? Electric cars use them apparently but theres not an abunance of them in scrappy's round here! I read sierra/granada's might have had em but can't be sure where I read it now. You can buy kits from the USA but they are pretty pricey...

I know you can just remove the servo but I'd need a new brake master cylinder etc and it seems more hassle than just wiring in a pump!

Cheers Tom :thumbsup:

Hi steve, due to the turbo the manifold pressure will be possitive when on throttle (Cossies didn't have a vac from the manifold they had a seperate abs pump setup). I know you don't usually have the throttle open when you are braking but as far as I know the servo won't work properly if used off the manifold presure.

Hi steve, due to the turbo the manifold pressure will be possitive when on throttle (Cossies didn't have a vac from the manifold they had a seperate abs pump setup). I know you don't usually have the throttle open when you are braking but as far as I know the servo won't work properly if used off the manifold presure.

Ok, thats what I thought, you only (usually) brake with the throttle shut and thought there must be a vacuum in the manifold ??..

I turbocharged an RS 1600i once and the servo worked fine, don't know if that would be the same.

Cheers for the replies, I'll have a lsearch on the BSC forum Bortaf, thanks mate!

It'll be a thread with do-it-sideways in it, he build 24V cortina for a living, he uses the 5ierra master with the ABS disconnected all the time :thumbsup:

Opps see youve got one :oops:

keep us informed :mrgreen: