Jiffer Posted August 8, 2010 Report Posted August 8, 2010 went out for a little run this morning I was turning right onto a side road when this little old lady in a micra approached the junction from the other way, I had right of way but I could see she's not stopping, not stopping, STILL NOT STOPPING. I shot out of her way quick and watched go straight through the junction and into the kerb. I swear she couldnt see over the steering wheel
moredoorAsh Posted August 8, 2010 Report Posted August 8, 2010 sounds like you had a lucky escape there
FredTransit Posted August 8, 2010 Report Posted August 8, 2010 Now, whilst I think "shoot me if I get like that" I also believe that, once a bad driver, always a bad driver. Some people just shouldn't have passed their test. Some people are bad drivers at 20, and are still bad drivers (if they live!) at 70.
andy a Posted August 8, 2010 Report Posted August 8, 2010 The wifes grandmother drove until she was 85 before we managed to get her to give it up, how she managed to live so long with the standard (or lack of) of her driving is unbelievable, and a broken arm that didnt heal properly made changing gear a right handed experience for the last 10 years The question has to be why did the doctor sign her driving licence extension form every 2-3 years with no medical? Living in a big retirement area the general standard of driving around here is truly shocking, countless times I've had oldies pull out in front of me on a main road when I'm doing the speed limit, they sit at a junction, have a think, stare you in the eyes then out they come and pull gently away while you overtake with wheels locked trying to avoid whatevers coming at you, then give you a flash of the headlights and some abuse if they can see over the top of the steering wheel
Fishtailparka Posted August 8, 2010 Report Posted August 8, 2010 After my Gran died my Granpa remarried to Ivy. Ivy never took a driving test because she had learned to drive many years ago. Her learning was from driving army lorries in the war. Almost fifty years later, having never driven since the war, she decided to get a car. She rarely ventured out of the village and always planned her trips well. She never ever turned right, only left. These trips took quite a bit of thinking about really. Never crashed has far as I recall, she only went slowly and people had fair chance to get out of the way. Now many will say "shouldn't be on the road" etc, but Ivy had to take over and run the small family farm when her father died when she was 16. She had to work the land, ploughing with a horse, earning enough to feed the rest of her family. Then the war came along and she had to help out there. Husband had a stroke and she nursed him for years, etc.etc. I expect many of the doddery old biddies you see out there have similar tales to tell. If they want to drive, let them, they earned it IMHO. If they are not very good at it, just give them a bit more time and a bit more room, they'll be OK. And if they're not, at the end of the day it is just a car, insured and doesn't really matter on the grand scale of things.
Pipster007 Posted August 8, 2010 Report Posted August 8, 2010 lucky you spotted her coming No no, i din't think she had a vib....... Ah, I see
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now