compression struts

nik_plant

I've been looking into this also. I've seen a few cars with them fitted with no anti roll bar but, to me, this doesn't seem right.

I know Gary (retromotorsport) is going to tell you not to do it as the ARB set up is the best unless you need to fit them to make way for something else?

I have them on mine too, i fitted them as i have Sierra intercooler and rad up front and needed to chop the chassis rails back a few inches, meaning the a.r.b mounts had to go. Usually if you fit compression struts your coil springs should be uprated by around 100lbs to compensate.

If i could have kept the anti roll bar i would of fitted tension struts instead, a few people i know use them and say they are much better than compression struts. Each to their own i guess. :thumbsup:

I have them on mine too, i fitted them as i have jelly mould intercooler and rad up front and needed to chop the chassis rails back a few inches, meaning the a.r.b mounts had to go. Usually if you fit compression struts your coil springs should be uprated by around 100lbs to compensate.

If i could have kept the anti roll bar i would of fitted tension struts instead, a few people i know use them and say they are much better than compression struts. Each to their own i guess. :thumbsup:

tension struts now theres another choice :?

what do you achieve by this? anypics of some fitted

Ive got Compression struts and a ARB

All home made :wink:

cortina105-1.jpg

The Compression struts have threaded inserts welded in for the Rose joint (left hand thread) and clevis pin (right hand thread) for adjustment with out removing

The TCA have threaded inserts welded in for the Rose joint and a Rally design adjuster

The ARB is 3/4 sprung steel it has steel blades and two 10mm rose joints one male one female for adjustment

And the outer rose joint has a insert to mimic the TCA tapered joint to fit in the leg

cortina107-1.jpg

I've got compression struts on mine Tom,no anti-roll bar :wink:

When was the last time you went round a corner kev?

Oh other kev, how would you rate the handling with no ARB? and what pound springs do you use?

I've been looking into this as i need to rose joint my TRE's to correct the geometry after lowering the rack but, with them at the height I need, they hit the ARB on full lock

You must miss chasing lotus elise's round corners on 3 wheels though kev?

Livewire - what does the 300/70 mean? Is it bump and rebound figures?

What sort of rallying do you do, all tarmac? How's she handle compared to the anti roll bar set up?

I think compression struts were more for gravel/forest cars with higher ride heights and to combat bent ARB's when hitting yumps in the rally stages.

Tension struts are a ideal off the shelf bolt on for tarmac cars and require no welding to fit. expensive as you need to buy a new ARB to us the drop link arms, but offer the best control.

Higher front spring poundages can 'SOMETIMES' lead to undesteer problems.

Ratman- I admire your home brewed approach :thumbsup: will have a crawl underneath to have a peek next time you are at Boxhill :D

ive used the car for tarmac rallys, speed sprints, night time road rallys on country lanes and i feel it handles fine, as for understeer ive never had that problem as i use decent tyres, one thing i did notice when i first fitted them it made the back end very twitchy but it was soon sorted with an lsd unit