business advice????

runty176

ok peeps this is how it stands.......

do i stay in my well paid job (mechanic) with a crap boss and carry on doing private work ?

or

the chance has just come up to rent a fairly cheep unit (£400 per month)

so do i bit the bullit and go it alone ??

having never been self imployed i am bricking it about not having a regular wage .

i still have a morgage to pay , 2 young children and a wife to support !

some of you must run your own place . what do you think?

do i stay unhappy where i am ?

or go for it ? If it doesn't work i can always get a regular job right?

advice would be much appricated

Well ... do you have customers (regulars you can poach or family, friends etc) from the start?? Do you have enough money put aside to keep you while you establish a business (at least a couple of months?).

I reckon you should go for it providing you have all the equipment but don't forget the extras like council tax/business rates, gas, electric, water, insurance (public liability and buildings/contents) alarm system and any other extras from the landlord.

Like you said .. you can always go back to a regular job but you may be tied into a long lease so you might want to check that first.

Good luck matey :wink:

Mate i would love the oppertunity to do something like that,very big decision i know,what with a family to support but like you say you could get another job if it went tits up,it would obviously take a while to get up and running and get customers through the door and i think that may be your main problem,but i would say go for it,could you not rent the unit and keep your job for the meantime,do evening and weekend work to start with and see how things go :D you only live once mate,i would say GO FOR IT!! :wink:

id say if your confident enough that you can do it, then go for it.

i did exactly the same nearly 10 years ago now.

yes, you may have a few bad/quiet weeks to start with but then other times youll have good weeks, same with any mobile mechanic / garage.

print a few leaflets to put in shop windows or hand out locally to start.

building a good customer base can take a while, but if prices are reasonable and work good, recommendations start getting around.

ive got customers that have been with me from the start and still keep coming back and recommending me.

as they say, a good mechanic will always have work

if you decide to go for it then i wish you all the best.

i would say go for it but a buisness is an easy thing to start but a very time consuming stressful thing to keep hold of and keep afloat i think you probably need more than £1500 to keep you going to get you through the start up period, the things that whack you are things like liability insurance and business rates ie overheads ! if you are really serious you should seek some proper proffesional advice before you know what your letting yourself infor ! i wish u the best of luck.

as said, you wont be long short of work if your a good mechaninc m8. my dad was working on his own since he was 22, and of course there were hard times with their not being a steady wage, but when the work is there- you get to pocket the extra.

good luck with either decision 8)

I did it a couple of years ago mate and its a big leap of faith, but at the end of the day if it all goes tits up you'll just go back to working for someone else, you will always have your trade/skills.

The thing is with the likes of your profession as well as plumbers, joiners etc is that you will always find work coz people always want things doing in there home or on there cars.

Thats a great idea doing flyers for your area and then let things develop by word of mouth.

Its a great oppertunity for you mate, you'll kick yourself if you dont at least try it.

Post up your location as well for people on here and all the other sites that they use so they can let people/friends know that your in there area.

Good luck

we have a few lads at our place who work part time 2-3 days a week then do their own work the rest of the week. Its a big plus to them because they have a set wage coming in (not much), access to cheap second hand/new parts plus tout for buisness at the same time. :wink:

the only way these big high profit garages owned by fat-cats started was by one person starting theyre own small business and expanding. the place where i work started 20 years ago and now the owner (who doesnt even need too work) drives a bentley and lives in a huge house...

we have a few lads at our place who work part time 2-3 days a week then do their own work the rest of the week. Its a big plus to them because they have a set wage coming in (not much), access to cheap second hand/new parts plus tout for buisness at the same time. :wink:

Best advice if your not sure :!:

My brother is a business consultant( project Northeast, so I guess itll be something similar or funded by Shell livewire/ business link) and his place does grants/low rate loans for startups. Is there somethin near where you can go and get advice/help?

I'm gonna be starting a plastering business soon and have nearly finished my business plan, but am working 2 jobs to cover bills whilst i'm doing it. I never want to work for anyone. And if it goes wrong then at least I have tried....

My brother is a business consultant and his place does grants/low rate loans for startups. Is there somethin near where you can go and get advice/help?

I'm gonna be starting a plastering business soon and have nearly finished my business plan, but am working 2 jobs to cover bills whilst i'm doing it. I never want to work for anyone. And if it goes wrong then at least I have tried....

All the best mate hope everything goes to plan :wink:

You must have seen it all i suppose.....being 99 and all

:shock:

Been there, done that, seen it twice over and still going :wink:

There must be loads of work out here for decent plasteres, We can never find one when we want one :?

There is a plasterer near me who is self employed, must be doing ok. he has two brand new BMW M3's on the drive of his £250k house :shock:

thanks all ..

getting some financial advice over the weekend .

but it looks like i am going to take the plunge!!

thanks for all the words of support . like you all say ... got to give it a go!

nice one m8. i wish you all the best! and you must have your head screwed on to have asked us :P so you cant go far wrong 8)