Herr Doktor Posted June 29, 2014 Report Posted June 29, 2014 I'm in the market for a tracking device and would prefer both GSM/GPS and VHF. To quote a mate [someone who uses the tracker system to find stolen cars] "to receive VHF we need the right equipment and to be close enough to get a reception. It's easier on open or flat ground, the signal obviously travels further. Even if you do get a signal it's difficult to work out where its coming from as it ounces off buildings etc". However, VHF is capable of locating covered vehicles [containers and the like] He goes on to say "GPS trackers are incredible to work with. You can often track them yourself on computer or mobile. Especially good if its just been taken. We love working with them. Get a real time update of where it is how fast it's travelling and we can intercept them rapidly. This obviously has its pros and con" So clearly a combination of both GSM/GPS and VHF would be advantageous. Tracker offer such a system called Tracker Locate. [http://www.tracker.co.uk/for-your-vehicle/car-tracking/] the RRP for which is £462 plus £174 per annum. However Savvy gave me the heads up on this comparison site for only £249 fitted http://www.trackingmycar.co.uk/vehicletracking.php. One small, innocuous line on the Tracker website is deterring me somewhat; "If your vehicle is stolen you should call the police and TRACKER. The motion sensor may notify TRACKER about the unauthorised movement of the vehicle before you become aware of the theft." They give no guarantee that their motion sensor will pick up the fact my vehicle has been robbed it "may notify them". I need to call and tell them!! If I'm at work then I won't know it's been robbed until I get home potentially 8hrs later!!! Is this true? Is their motion sensor so unreliable they can't guarantee it'll notify me of my vehicle being moved? Another mate advocates the use of Skytag http://www.skytag-gps.co.uk/index.php. GSM/GPS only enabled systems that alert you if your vehicle is moved. [if you choose the £249.99 option with skytag, and then use the code LRM10, you get the bundle for £124]. The monthly fee is £6.99 per month or £79.99 per annum but I'd need to add NightSafe & LeisureSafe movement protection as well which equate to an additional £8 per month +VAT. [or £127 per annum for a regular subscription plus either NightSafe or LeisureSafe] Any help/ guidance will greatly be appreciated folks
macford Posted June 29, 2014 Report Posted June 29, 2014 Seems a lot of money ... When insurance is about £100 a year It will cost about that for a year just for the tracker
Herr Doktor Posted June 29, 2014 Author Report Posted June 29, 2014 Seems a lot of money ... When insurance is about £100 a year It will cost about that for a year just for the tracker Not when you factor the value of my car it's not. Plus [secretly] I'd quite like to catch the scum that nicked my car! Clearly I'd use reasonable force to restrain them but no doubt they'd struggle. In the ensuing struggle who knows what accident may befell them 1
macford Posted June 29, 2014 Report Posted June 29, 2014 But your still going to claim the insurance,,for the damage they are bound to do Agree with a good alarm ,immobiliser, but tracker ? Unless it's a very expensive car, Mines only just over 4k, and insurance agree, That's even if it's not alarmed or any anti theft things Just the point of over £100 a year subscription
Savvi Posted June 29, 2014 Report Posted June 29, 2014 I'm in the market for a tracking device and would prefer both GSM/GPS and VHF. Tracker offer such a system called Tracker Locate. [http://www.tracker.co.uk/for-your-vehicle/car-tracking/] the RRP for which is £462 plus £174 per annum. However Savvy gave me the heads up on this comparison site for only £249 fitted http://www.trackingmycar.co.uk/vehicletracking.php. That's not a compassion site, that's my mates web site who uses a group of engineers including myself to install all the insurance approved trackers we can supply and fit, I can also supply and fit the same units myself nationwide, I just sent you that link as it was the quickest way of giving you the info you asked for at short notice, if anyone does decide to purchase from there please mention that Savvi introduced you, that way next time we meet it will be his round I have a offer running and just about to order some more units of the type that tracked and found Stuarts Mk1 escort a few weeks ago, cheaper to buy and on a Pay as you go Service so no subs as such, big selling point of this unit is that its so small it can be extremely well hidden ........... Stuarts car was ripped apart inside whilst looking for the unit but it was still not found, a normal tracker would have been, also the motion alert is spot on and it also has a geo fence set up which triggers if the car is moved outside a pre set area. I have seen another 4 classics have been stolen this last week or so one of them being a expensive twin cam Mk1 Escort, also its not all about the money, most of us have put a lot of hard work into getting the car as we want it !! 1
Danish Posted June 30, 2014 Report Posted June 30, 2014 its not all about the money, most of us have put a lot of hard work into getting the car as we want it !! That's why I would get one, I can never replace the 2000 hours I've spent working on the car.
texr2000 Posted June 30, 2014 Report Posted June 30, 2014 I have been thinking about a tracker for my mk1, Savvi the one you speak of whats the cost? is it yearly fee one? and allow live tracing from PC/Mobile? does it havr a built in rechargeable battery as i leave my battery disconnected 1
banarama Posted June 30, 2014 Report Posted June 30, 2014 got to have 1 ,least you get car back, im getting 1 for my next car straight away
BaileyMex Posted June 30, 2014 Report Posted June 30, 2014 I think it might be time to think about one of these also
Savvi Posted June 30, 2014 Report Posted June 30, 2014 With regards to the cost's etc. I have an old thread running and can still do these at the same price, I need at least 10 units to be able to do this and will need payment up front for me to enable to order at present time, the units will then be posted out as soon as I receive them, last time it was approx. a week from when I ordered them, this does vary on the amount and what stock my supplier has in at that time. Old thread with lots to read from when I 1st started along with peoples questions and my answers !!! http://www.oldskoolford.co.uk/ipb/index.php?/topic/60557-vehicle-tracking-system-offer-£196-to-your-door/page-4
Savvi Posted June 30, 2014 Report Posted June 30, 2014 My old thread with most of the details you need, common questions and my answers ...... http://www.oldskoolford.co.uk/ipb/index.php?/topic/60557-vehicle-tracking-system-offer-£196-to-your-door/ I need 10 as a min order, I have some interested parties already, I will need payment up front as the 1st time I did it I got left with units as people "changed their minds" so last 2 times I took payment then ordered, once all payments are in I will order and trackers should be out to you within a week dependant on supplier.
Herr Doktor Posted June 30, 2014 Author Report Posted June 30, 2014 Savvi, I've read the your old thread. Cheers In it you make mention of "Yes you do get what you pay for, if i'm honest i'd tell you to buy a Cobra traq 1st for £400 fitted, plus £163.50 per year subscription" Without wanting to sound like a flash b*stard money isn't a limiting factor. 1. As the OG thread was posted 06 September 2010 I wonder if your opinions have changed? 2. Would you recommend the Cobra Trak Plus or the Cobra Trak 5 over a Tracker Locate? 3. If money wasn't a limiting factor which would you opt for and why? Cheers
Savvi Posted June 30, 2014 Report Posted June 30, 2014 Sorry cant read what you have posted ............. however track 5 gives you a vehicle remote cut out whilst running, however I believe on a older car that could be bypassed in minutes, depending on setup. Ive only ever fitted a handful of cat 5's except the imob system which used to be approx £1500 and fitted loads of as the main Porsche importers was just up the road from me (also helped having a ex business partner working for Imob !! ) with these units you can phone the car and listen to any conversation and immobilise the car via your phone. My opinion hasn't really changed since the thread, the units have been updated and are much more accurate now, battery life is better and they have better motion alerts, I can personally vouch for that after having to use one myself end of last year, I managed to tell someone what car space a car was parking in at our local swimming pool !!! The downside to the normal units is they are quite large and have tell tale signs of what they are, so are easily found and easy to trace back to hard to hide on a classic. Cobra have just been bought out by Voda so I believe that changes will be made, rumour is that they wanted the tracker network to apply it to their range of phones but time will tell. I think the choice is yours, at the end of the day I know both have managed to recover vehicles and done their job.
Herr Doktor Posted July 1, 2014 Author Report Posted July 1, 2014 Clearly with a mobile phone, I pay for minutes and SMS messages. I make a call, I use up a portion of my allowance. The same with SMS texts I send Taken from your OG thread "Pay As You Go – Avoid excessive monthly contracts. Just buy top-up credits from us when you need. " How does the "Pay as you go" element work with a car GPS Tracker? What constitutes a "unit"?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now