Cyclist rant!!!

Tackleberry

I enjoyed reading these,,,

But the blue light doesn't give them the right to go through red lights,

An emergency driver,would fail( the test )if they go through a red light,the rules say they must stop aswell

But they don't and we all respect why,but as said even they should stop(or get a cycle lol)

I enjoyed reading these,,,

But the blue light doesn't give them the right to go through red lights,

An emergency driver,would fail( the test )if they go through a red light,the rules say they must stop aswell

But they don't and we all respect why,but as said even they should stop(or get a cycle lol)

No idea which pub conversation you heard that in!

Police drivers (I've been grade 1 advanced pursuit trained since 2004). Police drivers are exempt from 3 things when driving for police purposes.

Speed limits.

Red traffic signals.

Keep left bollards.

We do NOT have to stop at red lights if we can see the way is clear. We're told to treat them as give ways but can go straight through if safe to do so.

post-6097-142849015313_thumb.jpg

Makes me chuckle when people think they know the law. Truth is there's so much and so much detail not even coppers are aware of all the ins and outs! .

Anyhow, BTT.

It's the same for everyone. Some cyclists are good, some are bad. Some drivers are good, some are bad. Same goes for taxi drivers, white van men, and motorcyclists. Things won't change!

If I'd have my way, I'd like to impose compulsory cycle training. I know in real life it would be impossible to police but I've been to about a dozen or so fatalities of cyclists under lorries and every single one was the fault of the cyclist.

• Like 1

Can you post up the part Mike that says my 'All cyclists should be shot' should be made law :lol:

That's a bit extreme, I'd settle for them all having simultaneous severe cases of genital warts and haemorrhoids. At least then I'd know that it was causing them extreme discomfort each time they held me up or ran a red light!

So during your test you can run a red light?(when not qualified to do so)

If it's an advanced driving course, these are done in unmarked cars, it's not a test... If you're learning the driving side, which is different to blue light runs training, then you abide by the highway code, albeit exempt from speed in national limits. Then when you're on blue light runs during the course's, you have exemption for red lights... At the end of the course, you find out whether you've passed.

So in answer to your question, yes.

• Like 1

How do you learn to drive on a motorway,,your not allowed on it as a learner...so you don't have to go through red lights to learn how it's done

Ok a course not a test ,But you can fail it.but it's not called a test

Only saying what I was told ( by a police officer )who has passed,done the course

Not saying your wrong maybe I heard wrong

But officers are not "learners", they all have a full cat b licence...they're improving their ability and skill level to a far higher standard than Joe public, that's why it's an "advanced" course. Motorway is the same as any other road only it has more lanes.

Most forces run 2 courses. Standard and advanced. Standard is for divisional officers then advanced for traffic etc using the higher spec cars, 530's and Volvo's.

But yes, it's a pass or fail course...if they can't reach the required standard then they don't get the respective permit.

• Like 1

Would you all say the same if your sons daughters grandsons grandaughters, said i want to be a road racing cyclist.like Bradley or Mark.

Absolutely. You'll find no hypocrisy from me. I say how I feel and I make no apology for that. None of anything I have said or implied is meant to offend anyone and nor does it mean I don't respect your opinion.

Absolutely. You'll find no hypocrisy from me. I say how I feel and I make no apology for that. None of anything I have said or implied is meant to offend anyone and nor does it mean I don't respect your opi

I think the standing against the wall and shooting would be the thing that would offend most cyclists.not the opinions people have about them .

I think the standing against the wall and shooting would be the thing that would offend most cyclists.not the opinions people have about them .

Agreed - But it's still what I'd do if it wasn't illegal :lol:

As with all opinions on this site, mine are made 'Tongue in cheek'

I ride a motorbike too, dont see why if there is room i shouldnt filter to the front of a queue, im not going to hold anyone up when i pull off,

I might be misinterpreting your comment , but I suspect 'pulling off' at the lights is probably against the law too (LOL)!!

You're right about getting away quick though and not holding up cars, and I'm sure you don't ride 2-abreast chin-wagging with your mates like many cyclists do. Motorcyclists take tests and pay their dues , so we can't deny them the right to be out on the roads. But cyclists? Oh yes! Proper training, licences and insurance are needed. And a way of identifying the riders. My car and your bike have numberplates on them. I'm surprised the government haven't legislated on all that already as it would be a good revenue stream.

Similar situation - I like fishing and I'm one of the very few that has to pay to use canals - boats, joggers, dog-walkers and swan-eaters all get to go free and with no insurance if they break my gear I can't (legally) do anything about it.

• Like 1