Rick Posted February 27, 2007 Report Posted February 27, 2007 have any of you used those gas melted alloy rods for ally welding. got them out today and had a play with them. great for repairing holes etc in alloy items but not entirely sure theyre strong enough to 'weld' with plus it melts when you reheat it, it doesnt set like proper aluminum good for repairing rads n stuff i spose.
V8ian Posted February 27, 2007 Report Posted February 27, 2007 What are the rods called, I have some real Ally gas welding rods and the correct flux somewhere at work. I think I have seen the rods you are talking about and when the fella demonstrates them they look wonderfull and uses a propane torch to "weld"
over_head_cam Posted February 27, 2007 Report Posted February 27, 2007 We saw a bloke using the gas heated wire (guess it's the same stuff) and he challenged me to break the weld but I couldn't (and I aint no weaklin' - right ) but like you say hot on - hot off
Rick Posted February 27, 2007 Author Report Posted February 27, 2007 i wouldnt trust it on anything important
over_head_cam Posted February 28, 2007 Report Posted February 28, 2007 It looked good for filling holes in things like timing chain covers etc. Would probably be good for bracketry or non structural stuff
Supercharged Nat Posted February 28, 2007 Report Posted February 28, 2007 What are the rods called, I have some real Ally gas welding rods and the correct flux somewhere at work. I think I have seen the rods you are talking about and when the fella demonstrates them they look wonderfull and uses a propane torch to "weld" Frost sell them called 'LumiWeld' i havent tried them but frost says there fine for repairs to ally covers (inlet manifolds, non load bearing brakets etc).
Rick Posted February 28, 2007 Author Report Posted February 28, 2007 It looked good for filling holes in things like timing chain covers etc. Would probably be good for bracketry or non structural stuff yeah thats pretty much what i made of it, alright for making engine bay bits out of ally i suppose
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now