Bikini bike carbs

preacherman

How do they sound? 

Did you have any trumpets with them? 

I run mine on open trumpets,  no filter.  Loud,  but nice induction sound. 

Just checked and I have a bag of 40 to 60mm,  9mm wide jubilee clips in my garage.  I'll give you 4 of them for the carb side of the silicone hoses. These grip better than 12mm clips on bike carbs. 

IMG_20170826_213124230.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So, the bike carbs are up and running, I made some air filters as a temporary measure using tomato cans cut in half , section of mesh over the opeining and then some ramair filter material over the top. Does the job at £9. Fitted an electric choke using a £5 solenoid onto a switch, nice.

Need to improve the throttle cable attachment as i have to much play in the set up , will sort it this weekend. Overall the sound is better , idle is better and pick up is smoother. Too early to say if the performance / mpg has altered as i need to get the timing sorted once i have the throttle cable sorted. Overall though its an easy conversion.

20170909_152725.jpg

Neil,  I'm away all weekend on a trip,  but can sort the timing any evening this week if you want me to take a look.  Prefer if it's not lashing it down though as my garage is choc a bloc. 

If you keep it in a lower gear all the way over with the revs over 3k, then this can give us an indication of the mixture by pulling a plug. 

So, fitted new throttle cable and has a lovely smooth operation. So went out for a blast on some wet n greasy roads it's amazing how easy the back end steps out :-D

Shame the electric fuel pump failed 1 mile from home in the pissing rain.mrs not too happy about towing me home. Need to buy a better quality bike carb pump.for now we are on the road. Bugger

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted new bike pump.  All ok and started straight away. Interesting the old pump was dead when in the car and ok when put across a battery. Made all new connections so should be ok.

Fitted a thermostat from a mini that opens at 72 degrees. Had to reduce  diameter with the angle grinder by about 3 mm to fit. 

Got the electric fan to switch on as well so getting ready for a bit of winter time motoring.

The 12v solenoid that operates the bike carb choked failed again I think it's not man enough for the job. A more heavier duty one has been sourced.

So,fitted better solenoid to operate the choke and appears all ok.fitted some  large plastic trumpets with no air filters.its amazing how big a difference different air filters can make to bike carbs. Going to the rolling road 28th October for setting up at the Moseley  old creamery garage.

Car runs better with mini thermostat which opens about early 70 degrees.heaters are nice and warm.

20171015_181902.jpg

Fitted new bike pump.  All ok and started straight away. Interesting the old pump was dead when in the car and ok when put across a battery. Made all new connections so should be ok.

Fitted a thermostat from a mini that opens at 72 degrees. Had to reduce  diameter with the angle grinder by about 3 mm to fit. 

Got the electric fan to switch on as well so getting ready for a bit of winter time motoring.

The 12v solenoid that operates the bike carb choked failed again I think it's not man enough for the job. A more heavier duty one has been sourced.

20171015_202005.jpg

Do you still want to try some 9mm jubilee clips? I might be passing next Friday to pop over Lyons Engineering. 

What did you make the trumpets from. They look good. I have a sneaky idea of what you might have used ?

Was thinking of sending my trumpets to DAN ST, to get them made longer and all equal length.