Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Admin
Posted

I got a call from an automated system within my bank yesterday advising me that there had been attempts to get money from my account that didn't match my usual spending pattern.

 

The automated system went through a bunch of security checks that I had to give yes/no answers too to establish my identity and then reeled off a list of five recent transactions asking if they were all genuine. The first three were and then it came out with ones for £500 and £1260 to car auction services which definitely weren't! Thieving barstewards!! Fortunately, they had both been pinged by my bank as transactions outside my usual spending habits and rejected so I haven't lost any money. But now my card has had to be cancelled and I've no access to my money (other than by visiting the branch) until I get a new one. :evil:

 

Thing is, I've no idea where I used my card that the number could have been obtained from so it could just as easily happen again with the replacement!

 

Tw@s :evil::evil:

Posted

At least your bank spotted it mate.

 

Mine authorised a $900 payment in canada and a $450 payment in australia 20mins later!!

 

needless to say they refunded me and comped me a few quid and issued new cards numbers etc

Posted

my old man had this the other day, £4.50 to a milling and machining company on america. god knows why its only £4.50 but maybee they try taking a little bit first see if it gets noticed then if it doesn't they try going for more :?

Posted
my old man had this the other day, £4.50 to a milling and machining company on america. god knows why its only £4.50 but maybee they try taking a little bit first see if it gets noticed then if it doesn't they try going for more :?

Thats actually a great idea.

TBH I probably wouldnt even investigate it.

You do that a few hundred times a day/week/month and you're laughing.

  • Admin
Posted
my old man had this the other day, £4.50 to a milling and machining company on america. god knows why its only £4.50 but maybee they try taking a little bit first see if it gets noticed then if it doesn't they try going for more :?

Thats actually a great idea.

TBH I probably wouldnt even investigate it.

You do that a few hundred times a day/week/month and you're laughing.

 

Nah, what they usually do is take a small amount to see if their identity slips under the radar, then if they succeed, they clean you out with a huge withdrawal.

Posted

Petrol stations are the biggest source of info for fraudsters. They have a high turn over of staff, and it's a place that many people either go regularly, or once in a blue moon if travelling about. There was a case recently where a whole village got virtually cleaned out via a crooked petrol staion worker. Always pay cash at a petrol station, unles you really haven't got the cash on you.

Posted

someone came to my shop last year and their card declined at the till. They called the number on the back and was told the card or a copy of it was used for 1p at a Carphone Warehouse, which the bank flagged as odd as nobody pays for 1p with a card, and cancelled the card. It is good to know they are taking fraud seriously and are pretty quick at dealing with fraud.

Also last year when I bought my Fiesta I went to the shops to take out some money the day before and put in the wrong pin number twice in a row. I gave up and went home. (about 400 meters). When I opened the door my wife was there saying she had a call from Tesco finance saying someone is trying to take out money with the credit card and are putting in the wrong pin number. This was a Saturday afternoon and it was literally 2 minutes before I got home. Again, we never usually take money out on the credit card to it was good to know they are flagging unusual activity.

Posted

your not the only one scott my credit card was done for £1500 in 2 computer shops and just to piss me off a bit more they got a train ticket in birgingham thivieng scum like you i have no idea how the manged to do it the only funny bit was the wife got all excited when she saw the credit card bill and thought i had got her a laptop for christmas the realised im to tight to spend that much :lol:

Posted

at least it was spotted scot, could have been worse mate

i aint had it done to me but sons mate got hit for £5000 plus for a motor bike, he only has one arm so why the fook would he want a fireblade :shock:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...