2512pf Posted May 9, 2016 Report Posted May 9, 2016 Has anyone used or do use a towing a frame for their car I woul like to use one on my mk2 sport but as it's got a mex spoiler on the front I'm not to sure if it's to low It would be nice to tow behind my camper so I could go to events further from home
BROWNY 1968 Posted May 9, 2016 Report Posted May 9, 2016 Dunno about using on a flat front, but I use one on my rs mk2, no problem.
2512pf Posted May 9, 2016 Author Report Posted May 9, 2016 Dunno about using on a flat front, but I use one on my rs mk2, no problem. is your car lowered? What make of a frame do you have?
BROWNY 1968 Posted May 9, 2016 Report Posted May 9, 2016 Yes mate its lowered, a frame is a solomatic engineering model. 1
2512pf Posted May 9, 2016 Author Report Posted May 9, 2016 Yes mate its lowered, a frame is a solomatic engineering model. thanks for your help I will into one of those
Girl Racer Posted May 9, 2016 Report Posted May 9, 2016 We use an A Frame to tow mine and the Anglia and both cars are low! Not sure what make the A Frame is though.
2512pf Posted May 9, 2016 Author Report Posted May 9, 2016 We use an A Frame to tow mine and the Anglia and both cars are low! Not sure what make the A Frame is though. I've been looking on the eBay. Some a frames seem to have straps and chains. And some have chains only I My only concern is rubbing on the front of the mex spoiler, I presume the chains go round the track control arms?
BROWNY 1968 Posted May 9, 2016 Report Posted May 9, 2016 the ones with the straps are what I have, I tried one with chains and it got caught up between tca and steering rack. check out ebay item 162064843175 wont let me copy and paste it, that's the same as mine 1
JP. Posted May 10, 2016 Report Posted May 10, 2016 Might consider this one from CJ Auto's http://www.cjautos.eu/CAR_TOWING_A_FRAME_p/cm01.htm That vid is shot at our workshop in Holland as we sells those from CJ to. 1
2512pf Posted May 11, 2016 Author Report Posted May 11, 2016 Update I have emailed a few sellers of these a frames, all have said that the chains will rub on the bottom of my mex spoiler So I'm thinking about making my own. Or has someone who has used one or owns one re assure me that the chains won't damage the paint or damage my gen mex front spoiler
colr6 Posted May 11, 2016 Report Posted May 11, 2016 Can you not approach one of these companies to make a bespoke one for your car? Or what about a dolly or is that a bit clumbersome for what you need?
stephens_xpack Posted May 11, 2016 Report Posted May 11, 2016 Could you not perhaps rout a gap in a piece of 4x2 wood the same shape as lip of spoiler, and fit it on giving the spoiler a wooden gum shield? Sounds a little stupid, but could work. 1
2512pf Posted May 11, 2016 Author Report Posted May 11, 2016 Can you not approach one of these companies to make a bespoke one for your car? Or what about a dolly or is that a bit clumbersome for what you need? yes cool thought about dolly as the next best thing or poss making my own which will be a bit more perminant but higher of the ground
colr6 Posted May 11, 2016 Report Posted May 11, 2016 Had a look and don't think the dollys are to expensive. The thing with buying a pukka one is there properly weight rated and are easier to sell when not required anymore. 1
2512pf Posted May 12, 2016 Author Report Posted May 12, 2016 or you could just buy one with straps. i havnt seen one just with straps Ive seen with straps and chains and the chains still go past the front spoiler which will damage it, so the sellers tell me?
JP. Posted May 12, 2016 Report Posted May 12, 2016 The link I gave you is from Colin (CJ Auto's ). That is actualy a bespoke A-frame. He makes those himself at his workshop and I sell these in Holland at our toolshop. He can make or modify you one that fits. Its a chain - strap thing. the straps sits under your spoiler, the chains stay under your car. The straps are there to pull the chain tight. Give him a call and I am sure he can make one that suits your car. http://www.cjautos.eu/Articles.asp?ID=251 Tell him JP from Vocor Tools send you, that will make hime smile. 1
2512pf Posted May 12, 2016 Author Report Posted May 12, 2016 The link I gave you is from Colin (CJ Auto's ). That is actualy a bespoke A-frame. He makes those himself at his workshop and I sell these in Holland at our toolshop. He can make or modify you one that fits. Its a chain - strap thing. the straps sits under your spoiler, the chains stay under your car. The straps are there to pull the chain tight. Give him a call and I am sure he can make one that suits your car. http://www.cjautos.eu/Articles.asp?ID=251 Tell him JP from Vocor Tools send you, that will make hime smile. thanks i think im now sorted
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now