Bugger! Poorly CWP, anyone got a 3:54:1 diff or CWP?

Vista

What's the history of that diff? How long has it been fitted? That looks like corrosion in the teeth (is it?) but it's on the over-run side. I would say that the corrosion shouldn't make any noise if the corrosion doesn't have any high spots - oil should sit in low-spots if that's what they are. 

If the marks are only on the over-run side and sitting proud they should only affect deceleration. 

When does the diff make a noise? You sure it's not the LSD you've got fitted? Looks like a Tran-x Salisbury?

It's been in the car since I bought it 13 years ago. I had it out and rebuilt / set up about 11 years ago. Yes the teeth are rusty but it makes a metal to metal grinding noise the whole time. It's a plate type LSD. I haven't driven the car much myself for several years, my wife tends to drive it and we take two cars out on runs carrying a child each. It appears she was oblivious to the racket it was making.......whereas I got in it to take it for an MOT last week and thought, "holy :shit: what's that noise???" the minute I picked away.

I haven't seen it in the flesh yet, those are the pics I was sent this afternoon, will look at it myself tomorrow. The oil had quite heavy metal debris content so it may have been a bearing failure making most of the noise.

Sometimes it's better to be ignorant than paranoid about every little noise! Wish I could loose my paranoia! Just about pull everything to pieces when I hear a noise! 

It's not looking good if there's loads of metal in the diff! Even so that crownwheel and pinion might be useful to hot-rod boys if it turns out no good for you. 

Be interested to see how this progresses and to hear about gear/teeth condition on the drive side - probably will have  marks in them if the oil had metal in it. 

Trust me, it wasn't a little noise. I'm a Marine Engineer by trade, I know when something sounds wrong and does need to be looked into.

I'm not sure if you took what I said the wrong way, or whether I've mistaken your intent? Didn't mean it shouldn't be taken to pieces, I meant that your missus just kept driving it and could somehow not be bothered by it! It's almost a blessing to be that way! 

I rebuild Ford diffs so I know when they're even slightly noisy there's a problem

Just been down and had a look at it. I reckon the noise I am hearing us at least in part down to a worn bearing. The corrosion pitting evident in the teeth is all on the overrun side but it does go tight as you rotate it through the section with corrosion evident.

IMG_20170506_085436.jpg

IMG_20170506_085628.jpg

IMG_20170506_085657.jpg

Sounds a bit ominous! Is there corresponding corrosion on the pinion head over-run side? I wonder if some moisture has got in and sat on top of the oil and caused those marks where the teeth have have contacting?

Has the car been sat over-winter? 

The car has sat quite a lot. I own 3 classics and am only home over the weekends so get little time to use them, hence encouraging my wife to bring one of them along to each event I attend. I can't really see the condition of the pinion till it gets stripped down. It looks OK from what can be seen installed though.

Backlash is 0.005-0.007" - if it's tighter than that there's an issue, and the bottom and top limit need to be quite close so you wouldn't want 0.005" at the tightest spot and 0.015" at the loosest - you'd want tightest ideally at 0.005" and loosest ideally no more than 0.007". 

Love the spanners in the boot comment! 

Something else that's getting rare, a decent oe 3/54 c/w/p

Sick of stubbing my toes on crap laying around everywhere!

post-12481-0-79409000-1494235667_thumb.jpg

Definitely something from Ford.

post-12481-0-47291800-1494235687_thumb.jpg

Oh a new unused 3.54 CWP

post-12481-0-06593200-1494235721_thumb.jpg

Just cluttering the place, time for a clean out.

post-12481-0-56552900-1494235751_thumb.jpg

:crap:

Just teasing :smilieguys:  .

Actually its not something I have been sitting on for decades I only won that on Ebay Australia for about the equivalent of 150 pounds a couple of years ago. I was the only bidder.  Got a new Quaife ATB to go with it. Something more important always needs doing first.

• Like 3

Well I had the diff stripped and rebuilt with new bearings (the old ones were totally shot) and the LSD set up again and hey presto, but for standard plate type clonking on slow cornering, it's quiet as a mouse again. Glad I didn't opt for a new CWP now.

• Like 1