VW camper vs Ford camper (RESULTS OUT NOW!)

petrolhead

Well to give you a bit of insider info (place your bets now) the VW is a non-turbo 5 cylinder. It is supposed to produce 68bhp and 101lbft torque. Not a lot but they run forever.

George originally had a LC Pinto that was also supposed to produce 70bhp but there were rumours he was on the 'roids and had an HC lump instead. In my mind I thought if he has less than 85bhp I would pull the lump out and rebuild it.

Anyway, all good fights need a weigh in. This was at the local coal depot.

DSCF0224.jpg

I think the scales over-read but both vans were weighed with drivers, fuel and tools. George = 1820kg and the smaller VW was 2120kg :shock: !

Both vans arrived in one piece.

DSCF0164.jpg

I was a bit worried about the headroom on George so I opted to go first (and thereby sneakily taking the Immortal crown of first Ford Camper at HT Vulcan dyno :D ) but I had a bit more room than I thought.

DSCF0167.jpg

Steve and Aaron were understandably nervous :sad: about dyno-ing a high performance vehicle with a sink, gas stove and a fridge. Cold sweat ran down their faces, I gave them a pat on the back and told them 'everything will be fine'

DSCF0179.jpg

DSCF0182.jpg

DSCF0178.jpg

DSCF0165.jpg

George came straight out punching hard on the first run. 96bhp and 121lbft, we were all pleasantly surprised. :thumbsup:

DSCF0185.jpg

Pleased with himself George confidently stepped aside to let the [spit on the floor] VW show what it was made of. :D

DSCF0200.jpg

I really like this picture, two skilled Engineers doing what they know best: :ykt:

DSCF0193.jpg

So, the scores had to be corrected for temperature but here they are........................

camperdynograph001.jpg

George 93bhp and 119lbft

VW 80bhp and 102lbft torque

Inspired by the rolling road sesson of unlikely vehicles Steve put his own car on but you don't want to know what his modern turbo diesel put out, just concentrate on my numbers!

DSCF0202.jpg

A certain Sierra rocked up to see what all the fuss was around and put out 250bhp from an old N/A cosworth built 15 years ago. The campers picked up their stuff and left in a huff after that.

DSCF0211-1.jpg

A great day and thanks to Steve and Aaron at HT Vulcan :thumbsup:

DYNO vid here