Jump to content

Which one?  

46 members have voted

  1. 1. Which one?

    • Rover
      6
    • 351 Ford
      40


Recommended Posts

Posted

Ah, cam profile maybe. Any cam profile can be ground into any cam (material allowing) so I'm guessing you had a Cleveland profile ground onto a Windsor cam blank.

There's no way that the actual cams will interchange though, as the Cleveland is absolutely Mahoosive compared to the Windsor.

 

I use a Pinto cam in mine! :D:D:D:D:twisted:

Posted
Hey Dom I voted for the yank motor they just sound so much harder than a rover. I dont know why but rovers sound a bit soft in comparison with proper american v8s unless of course you chuck a 6/71 on top and run open headers !! :D8):twisted:

 

Obviously never heard Steve Green or TimGarlikk launch their Rover powered cars :D:D , or mine for that matter, You cant tell me a 5.0 mustang sounds HARD :D:D:D:D

 

 

Sorry I thought we only had the options of either a ford 351 or a rover v8. Obviously if the "rover" in question is actually a wildcat engine then I would go for that :lol::lol: .

 

I dont think that I have heard your's Ian I look forward to seeing you at the Pod this year . :D

 

In my opinion really you should sell both and buy a sbc and a blower then it could sound like this !!:-

 

 

 

By the way if you have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket then you could buy Tim's Wildcat engine from him as it is apparantly for sale on eurodragster ! :twisted:.

 

I also think that Steve Green should take the cans off the exhaust that would make it sound better imo. :D:D

Posted

Niether for me im afraid, they kill the handling and the only Vee eight ive ever driven that revved was in a 355 GTS.

 

each to thier own, they might work on the strip, but on the B roads id rather have a 4 pot screamer.

  • Admin
Posted
Niether for me im afraid, they kill the handling and the only Vee eight ive ever driven that revved was in a 355 GTS.

 

each to thier own, they might work on the strip, but on the B roads id rather have a 4 pot screamer.

 

Have to draw your attention back to the Alfa Montreal V8 there, lightweight magnesium alloy and revs to around 8000 :twisted:

Posted
Niether for me im afraid, they kill the handling and the only Vee eight ive ever driven that revved was in a 355 GTS.

 

each to thier own, they might work on the strip, but on the B roads id rather have a 4 pot screamer.

 

Have to draw your attention back to the Alfa Montreal V8 there, lightweight magnesium alloy and revs to around 8000 :twisted:

 

And Vista, what was the 355 GTS's engine losely based on!!! except with 5 valves per cylinder i got it to just over 9000.

Posted

Dom,

I voted for the 351 Ford lump because u said its sitting around.

Much more feasable in my eyes :wink:

 

Also what's with all this RV8 compared to "proper american V8's"???

The RV8 IS an american engine, first

developed by olds/buick in the early '60's as an economical motor.

It debuted ( i think ) in the '64 Olds Cutlass...

 

So there. :nerner:

Posted

FORD PERFORMANCE by Pat Ganahl confirms that the Cleveland cam is indeed different to the Windsor.

A Rover V8 being all Alluminium is about the same weight as a Pinto so how they ruin the handling needs explaining :?::roll:

Posted

i voted 351 because they are a lovely engine that revs well , pulls good power even in a mild state of tune, and and pretty bloody strong , where as the rover is a good engine so dont get me wrong , requires more money to achieve the same hp as the 351, and as for the extra weight issue bigger cubic inches means usually more torque so although thew handling may be affected is shouldnt be that noticable!!

 

but on a serious note i would sell me the 351, then buy a dart simiese ally block, ally john kasse heads , steel stroker kit, dyers 671 supercharger,twin demon carbs and 351 kieth black piston and make your self a 373ci small block ford that with gas will produce around 900 hp and still weigh less than an essex v6!!!!! well thats what i did!!!! and it rocks!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
i voted 351 because they are a lovely engine that revs well , pulls good power even in a mild state of tune, and and pretty bloody strong , where as the rover is a good engine so dont get me wrong , requires more money to achieve the same hp as the 351, and as for the extra weight issue bigger cubic inches means usually more torque so although thew handling may be affected is shouldnt be that noticable!!

 

but on a serious note i would sell me the 351, then buy a dart simiese ally block, ally john kasse heads , steel stroker kit, dyers 671 supercharger,twin demon carbs and 351 kieth black piston and make your self a 373ci small block ford that with gas will produce around 900 hp and still weigh less than an essex v6!!!!! well thats what i did!!!! and it rocks!!!!!!!!!!

whats it in and :no pics:

Posted
i voted 351 because they are a lovely engine that revs well , pulls good power even in a mild state of tune, and and pretty bloody strong , where as the rover is a good engine so dont get me wrong , requires more money to achieve the same hp as the 351, and as for the extra weight issue bigger cubic inches means usually more torque so although thew handling may be affected is shouldnt be that noticable!!

 

but on a serious note i would sell me the 351, then buy a dart simiese ally block, ally john kasse heads , steel stroker kit, dyers 671 supercharger,twin demon carbs and 351 kieth black piston and make your self a 373ci small block ford that with gas will produce around 900 hp and still weigh less than an essex v6!!!!! well thats what i did!!!! and it rocks!!!!!!!!!!

whats it in and :no pics:

 

its going in a morris minor that was built with a 289 small block , its only half assembled at the mo but if i get the chance will mopck it up at the weekend and post some pics!!!!

Posted

Stand up and be big time, :wave::wave:

just been up the garage and checked the box I keep the spare cam for my Rover, its a comp cams box, for a cleveland, or thats what is hand written on the box, and just for piece of mind I have also checked the cam bearing dimensions, and I also agree they are different, So, was I sold a pup by Tony Dickinson, who knows, but untill today I was 100% certain it was a Cleveland cam, Whoops,

Ian :D

Posted
i voted 351 because they are a lovely engine that revs well , pulls good power even in a mild state of tune, and and pretty bloody strong , where as the rover is a good engine so dont get me wrong , requires more money to achieve the same hp as the 351, and as for the extra weight issue bigger cubic inches means usually more torque so although thew handling may be affected is shouldnt be that noticable!!

 

but on a serious note i would sell me the 351, then buy a dart simiese ally block, ally john kasse heads , steel stroker kit, dyers 671 supercharger,twin demon carbs and 351 kieth black piston and make your self a 373ci small block ford that with gas will produce around 900 hp and still weigh less than an essex v6!!!!! well thats what i did!!!! and it rocks!!!!!!!!!!

 

And I can vouch for the pile of bits in the corner of the garage, gonna be one seriously QUICK car when finished, bit of sniff and its going to be a easy 9 sec street car. May even get there without the gas.

Posted
Stand up and be big time, :wave::wave:

just been up the garage and checked the box I keep the spare cam for my Rover, its a comp cams box, for a cleveland, or thats what is hand written on the box, and just for piece of mind I have also checked the cam bearing dimensions, and I also agree they are different, So, was I sold a pup by Tony Dickinson, who knows, but untill today I was 100% certain it was a Cleveland cam, Whoops,

Ian :D

 

That's why I buy most of my parts from the States, they have been doing this stuff with big V8's for much longer than we have, and are less likely to bullsh*t because they don't need to - if you don't buy it (whatever it is) there's a queue of 1,000 others who will.

 

I had a custom ground cam made for my engine a couple of years ago. I was quoted around £400 in the UK by 'the specialists', and eventually got it done by a well-known cam manufacturer in the US for £70.

Even allowing for the £40 shipping, that's one hell of a saving!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...