skeeter Posted January 17, 2016 Report Posted January 17, 2016 Hi all, as you may know I currently have a 1968 Cortina 1600e which was fully restored a couple of years ago and I would consider to be pretty much A1 condition. The interior is all original including the carpets, in fact the only non original parts (as far as I know) are; 1) The radio, although I have a period radio installed 2) I believe the bonnet is from a slightly later model 3) The radiator fan, which I changed for a multi blade unit (I still have the original) I have enjoyed the car for the last 3 years but am wanting a change. For those of you who have read any of my posts you may recall I have a small fleet of cars and get bored quickly! I was thinking of using my current car as a starting point and making some changes such as lowering, maybe upgrade the engine/gearbox, new wheels and paint. Now to the question. What are your thoughts on messing around with a pretty original and sorted 1600e? My other option is to get something else and start with that, possibly something not quite 'rare'? I have been thinking about it for a few weeks and am hot and cold on it. Ken
Admin Vista Posted January 17, 2016 Admin Report Posted January 17, 2016 First of all, it's your car so do what ever you want with it regardless of any criticism for modifying an otherwise standard car. As to modifying your car or getting something else, better the devil you know I say. What's to say you won't buy something else only to find that it needs much more work than you thought?
dalmarshall Posted January 17, 2016 Report Posted January 17, 2016 I'd go with getting something else. I had a similar dilemma when I had a standard harrier. In the end it was better to sell the harrier for decent money rather than spend money on mods which will ultimately DE value it.
colr6 Posted January 17, 2016 Report Posted January 17, 2016 My opinion if it's a well sorted E would leave well alone. Will retain its value more than a messed about one. To be honest who doesent love a nice E. Plus there becoming more rare for a good std one. Now if it was a dog and needed loads of work do what you like nothing to lose.
skeeter Posted January 17, 2016 Author Report Posted January 17, 2016 Thanks - I guess the different answers sum up my dilemma. Is it a crime to destroy originality? Will sleep on it and decide, the only real constraint I have is SWMBO who has said I cant have more than the current 5 cars - so one in one out! How unreasonable is that??? K
Admin Vista Posted January 17, 2016 Admin Report Posted January 17, 2016 Tell her that they're like shoes and you need one for every outfit
jamie956 Posted January 17, 2016 Report Posted January 17, 2016 Its got to be down to how far your thinking about going with the modifications, you can do a lot with just bolt on parts as long as you don't start cutting it up and you keep all the standard parts your not going to affect the value. Once the itch is scratched put it back to standard and sell the modified parts. You could easily do a engine and front suspension swap with just bolt on bits, lowering blocks in the back and a set of wheels and you got a completely different car.
SmokeEm Posted January 17, 2016 Report Posted January 17, 2016 Obviously, money isn't the issue so that changed my thoughts. No matter how mint it is, a 1600e is worth around 6k in my mind currently. If yours is truly rust free, chase whatever it is u desire with what you have, rather than spend ££££ repairing a shit box so you can mod it. IMHO, a modded mk2 Tina, is way cooler than just another Escort done like all the rest. BUT... Don't expect your money back! Just have fun
D-FENS Posted January 19, 2016 Report Posted January 19, 2016 I would say an A1 rust free 1600e is worth more like £8000- £10,000 today.For £6000 you could expect a straight ,MOTed,visualy rust free car .I would agree with the majority so far who said modify with bolt on bits .Definately worth much more in standard trim.Have you got a couple of photos that you could post up so we could have a look at it please.
SmokeEm Posted January 19, 2016 Report Posted January 19, 2016 Agreed but its only worth what someone will pay and I haven't seen any sold recently above 6k hence my valuation 1
skeeter Posted February 3, 2016 Author Report Posted February 3, 2016 Update I spent a couple of days with the 1600e and had decided I was going to play with it, new wheels, paint, engine etc and then at the last minute I got cold feet and decided that I couldn't bring myself to mess with it. Cue a little conversation with SWMBO and eureka, agreement given to keep the 1600e and also find something else to add to the fleet! I have however been given a strict budget and I might also have suggested that one of the cars will go by the end of the year (although I might forget that bit). The hunt is on for something interesting and different to the current cars we have, I am not sure what it is I want but it needs to be different. So win win.... the 1600e stays original and I have the fun of the hunt for a new toy.
dalmarshall Posted February 3, 2016 Report Posted February 3, 2016 Now that's what I call win win!! Nice negotiating sir
colr6 Posted February 3, 2016 Report Posted February 3, 2016 So WHATS in mind for a new toy then ??? Something modern or classic ??
skeeter Posted February 4, 2016 Author Report Posted February 4, 2016 I am thinking something along the lines of a "gentleman's" car. Possibly a mkII Jaguar or Daimler 250 V8, half a thought about a DB7 or possibly a Mercedes 220 from the 1960's, so definitely not too modern. That sort of car would plug a gap, the other cars cover convertible (Alfa), utility (Landrover), Classic (1600e), Bahnstormer (Lotus Carlton) and daily driver (M5). None feel like a 'gentleman's" ride. Any other ideas gratefully received
colr6 Posted February 4, 2016 Report Posted February 4, 2016 Don't go for the v8, mk2 3.8s now that's a real car, it's just finding a good one
Admin Vista Posted February 4, 2016 Admin Report Posted February 4, 2016 I'd love one of these as a Gentleman's cruiser, loving the V12 kudos too http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111889060170?clk_rvr_id=977234163823&item=111889060170&lgeo=1&vectorid=229508&rmvSB=true
skeeter Posted February 4, 2016 Author Report Posted February 4, 2016 Interestingly I did think about the XJC, quite a rare beastie and looks great in the right colour. Not many around to choose from though.
colr6 Posted February 4, 2016 Report Posted February 4, 2016 If your looking at v12s just one thing, make sure the heater works well. Big failing heater starts to go off temp wise, one of main causes for this was the head gasket rotting between the v and blocking the heater up. It's about two days to fit a matrix and you start stripping the car out from the rear seats then move forward all to get the dash out and heater box. Oh what fun they are!!! There won't be many 12s left that don't need stripping due to there age not milage.
Admin Vista Posted February 4, 2016 Admin Report Posted February 4, 2016 Interestingly I did think about the XJC, quite a rare beastie and looks great in the right colour. Not many around to choose from though. I love them, E types may be more valuable but the XJ-C is about the most exclusive, yet still relatively affordable, Jag Coupe there is. if you're worried about the V12, go for the 4.2 straight 6.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now