capri71 Posted March 30, 2016 Report Posted March 30, 2016 Mine was long gone when I got the car. I noted it but had other bigger priorities. Over the years Ive run the searches on eBay but never seen anything descent at a sensible price. Obviously they are only getting more ridiculous but whats really worrying is that the last few times Ive looked, theres NONE at any price! I started of wanting the correct one for it, the 2.8 injection special radio cassette but now would be ecstatic if I could get ANY Mk3 radio that fills the cut out in the fascia correctly
JP. Posted March 30, 2016 Report Posted March 30, 2016 Never give up hope, just watch ebay worldwide and see what comes bye. Got lucky myself twice, one am/fm radio genuine Capri mk1 facelift USA version for peanuts from Ireland and an early Capri mk2 am/fm for 40 quit that just did fit the '74 3.0 GXL that actually came from Holland so low postage. Indeed, some do ask astronomical prices. I do like the old vintage radio's to despite having no facilities to run MP3's. I do have a cheap FM MP3 converter but all the engine noise over the speakers is making me crazy so no Led Zeppelin when I want it.
skeeter Posted March 30, 2016 Report Posted March 30, 2016 I have a vintage radio in mine which has modern internals including an iPod connector, best of both worlds in terms of looks and use.
Admin Vista Posted March 30, 2016 Admin Report Posted March 30, 2016 I have a vintage radio in mine which has modern internals including an iPod connector, best of both worlds in terms of looks and use. Don't know what the mk2 Cortina is like for head unit size but the mk2 and 3 Capri won't take a standard DIN unit without butchering the upper left corner of the dash panel. It's an odd size that only a radio meant for the Capri will fit (unless you're prepared to cut the dash).
robert maguire Posted March 30, 2016 Report Posted March 30, 2016 Check out Gerard Murphy Ford Wexford on Retards Club.Gerard Murphy Memorials ( he died few years back) but his father runs the Capri buisness ,mostly parts I believe in Ireland PM me if you need number etc.Might just have what you need.
chinkamon Posted March 31, 2016 Report Posted March 31, 2016 I know you're probably looking for the original stereo but I know there are companies making new stereos that look like old ones. Not sure how close to the original it'd look but wouldn't be as out of place as something from halfords
stephens_xpack Posted March 31, 2016 Report Posted March 31, 2016 Also interested in this people, doesn't need to be original - I like the sound of the new ones that look old, do you have any more info on these? I currently just have a hole in the dash which I would eventually like to fill with something that looks almost period correct. Cheers.
skeeter Posted March 31, 2016 Report Posted March 31, 2016 Don't know what the mk2 Cortina is like for head unit size but the mk2 and 3 Capri won't take a standard DIN unit without butchering the upper left corner of the dash panel. It's an odd size that only a radio meant for the Capri will fit (unless you're prepared to cut the dash). Aha, I didn't know that. Every day is a school day
capri71 Posted March 31, 2016 Author Report Posted March 31, 2016 None on today either. Ok, time to look at alternatives. My current best idea is to make a panel that looks like OSF stereo but is just two knobs that are secretly wired to the volume control on the modern bluetooth, mp3 receiver in the glovebox. I know I could fab up a nice panel and source 12v round knobs but not to sure how to wire them to a modern stereo. I'm guessing in side the the modern stereo the round knob on its front panel connects with a little plug to a board in the unit. might be able to unplug the one on the Stereo front panel and run a long wire to the knob on my DIY fascia panel. The other knob could be wired my EPAS controller to vary my steering assistance.
JP. Posted April 1, 2016 Report Posted April 1, 2016 How about these, http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Pyle-Plr14Mpf-In-Dash-Am-Fm-Mpx-Mp3-Shaft-Style-Dual-Knob-Radio-With-USB-New-/252321762911?hash=item3abf8c8e5f:g:iEQAAOSw~bFWH97k
Danish Posted April 1, 2016 Report Posted April 1, 2016 I started of wanting the correct one for it, the 2.8 injection special radio cassette but now would be ecstatic if I could get ANY Mk3 radio that fills the cut out in the fascia correctly Is it not the same dimensions as a Cortina radio? Like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231892777980 ?
Admin Vista Posted April 1, 2016 Admin Report Posted April 1, 2016 It's these curved corners that cause the fitment issue
classicwhitey Posted April 1, 2016 Report Posted April 1, 2016 could you not as a last resort to fill the hole, get a picture of one & have it copied to vinyl with a couple of knobs pushed in to make it look real. then use your mp3 in the glove box like you mentioned
capri71 Posted April 1, 2016 Author Report Posted April 1, 2016 How about this?? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durite-Matt-Black-Steel-Panel-For-Mounting-52mm-Guages-0-243-03-/221383192030?hash=item338b776dde:g:ifoAAOxyZwpSVSSe What gauges though?
Danish Posted April 1, 2016 Report Posted April 1, 2016 It's these curved corners that cause the fitment issue Oh. I had a Mk3 Capri for a while but I don't remember a stereo like that. Though I'm guessing 'capri71' has a Mk1 ?
Admin Vista Posted April 1, 2016 Admin Report Posted April 1, 2016 Oh. I had a Mk3 Capri for a while but I don't remember a stereo like that. Though I'm guessing 'capri71' has a Mk1 ? Think he has a mk3 but in any case, other than the switches moving up on to stalks, the Capri dash was largely unchanged from the mk1 facelift in 73 right through to end of production of the mk3. Think this is a mk2 but still much the same.
chinkamon Posted April 2, 2016 Report Posted April 2, 2016 Copy an paste these eBay numbers into the search bar on their page ( couldn't copy the link sorry??) These might be sort of along the lines but I don't know what dimensions you'd need?? 261748827251 281383118547
chinkamon Posted April 2, 2016 Report Posted April 2, 2016 http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=322060156609&alt=web Ooh I managed it!! Here's another?! Got to be honest I'm not sure what the original one looks like?
chinkamon Posted April 2, 2016 Report Posted April 2, 2016 Another? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=272195017242&alt=web This might not quite be what your looking for though? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=141941816293&alt=web
chinkamon Posted April 2, 2016 Report Posted April 2, 2016 I'll stop now http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291721431716&alt=web
capri71 Posted April 2, 2016 Author Report Posted April 2, 2016 I'll stop now http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291721431716&alt=web your good mate i appreciate the suggestions. Ive decided to make a panel of my own. I will dremel it out of some aluminium to mount some bits and bobs knobs and whatnots. Cars getting caged on the 25th so instruments will probably look better anyway. Need to mount the knob for adjusting the PAS, one to select ECU map, a Tyre pressure and temp monitor, maybe engine start. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now