chinkamon Posted November 27, 2018 Report Posted November 27, 2018 Hi all Saw a doris reverse into a chap walking behind her yesterday, not serious thankfully, but her reverse light didn't come on, got me thinking. I haven't got reverse lights on the tina, was never fitted by ford, I'm very careful about reversing, so won't bother fitting them. Now I'm wandering maybe I should, just in case someone in a car doesn't see me as no lights will show up and I don't see them. Question is, my 63 mk1 Tina is stock as far as the gearbox is concerned. How would I go about fitting a reverse switch on it? Can you even fit a switch to the gearbox?? Thanks all
Kenworth W900 Posted November 27, 2018 Report Posted November 27, 2018 You just need a push switch which is activated whilst the gear stick is in the reverse position. You won't need to modify the GB at all hopefully.
chinkamon Posted November 27, 2018 Author Report Posted November 27, 2018 So im guessing there's not a space where a switch would've been put on certain other models which I can just attach the switch to? I mean sometimes manufacturers will leave stuff off even though the facility is there, only for top models etc This being 1963 English ford I suppose its not like that??
Kenbex522 Posted November 27, 2018 Report Posted November 27, 2018 Stock MK1 Cortinas with the 3 rail GB didn't have a switch hole unfortunately, so you will have to rig up either a manual switch/micro switch somehow. The only 3 rail boxes that had switch holes were the 2000e Corsair and I think some 3 rail Mexico's had them, but obviously quite rare. It is possible to modify the box to take one, but its a box out and take apart job. Have done it once but it was coming out anyway.
chinkamon Posted November 27, 2018 Author Report Posted November 27, 2018 Aah OK so easiest way, wire up a toggle switch on the dash an remember to switch it off when not reversing then!!
chinkamon Posted November 27, 2018 Author Report Posted November 27, 2018 I like the way the site changes it when you write wo man to Doris lol! 1
Kenbex522 Posted November 27, 2018 Report Posted November 27, 2018 4 hours ago, chinkamon said: Aah OK so easiest way, wire up a toggle switch on the dash an remember to switch it off when not reversing then!! Idiot/telltale light on the dashboard. I forgot to mention bit irrelevant now but some, but not all, very early mk2 before they went to single rail may also had reverse light hole too.
notenoughtime Posted November 28, 2018 Report Posted November 28, 2018 But you then need to fit some reverse lights on to the rear dont you think it will spoil the look of the rear end! Mind you a car smashing into it would spoil it also!!
chinkamon Posted November 28, 2018 Author Report Posted November 28, 2018 9 hours ago, Kenbex522 said: Idiot/telltale light on the dashboard. I forgot to mention bit irrelevant now but some, but not all, very early mk2 before they went to single rail may also had reverse light hole too. Yea good shout, maybe some irritating buzz noise so u can't forget an no need to find somewhere to stick a reminder light? 1 hour ago, notenoughtime said: But you then need to fit some reverse lights on to the rear dont you think it will spoil the look of the rear end! Mind you a car smashing into it would spoil it also!! I've seen some strip leds that u wire up to the lights but they're small enough to go unnoticed in normal use
Kenbex522 Posted November 28, 2018 Report Posted November 28, 2018 Just fit one of those period spotlights on the rear like the rally boys did. I used to use my Anglia Van as a daily and it never had any reversing light on it. But i had so many near misses with people walking behind the van, even though it was moving mind, they used to shout out your reversing light aint working!! I did reply to one doris once with like your friggin eyesight. She wasn't impressed. I fitted a small period Lucas light in the end, I'd already fitted a 2000e box so fitting the switch wasn't an issue. 1
katana Posted November 28, 2018 Report Posted November 28, 2018 5 hours ago, Kenbex522 said: Just fit one of those period spotlights on the rear like the rally boys did. I used to use my Anglia Van as a daily and it never had any reversing light on it. But i had so many near misses with people walking behind the van, even though it was moving mind, they used to shout out your reversing light aint working!! I did reply to one doris once with like your friggin eyesight. She wasn't impressed. I fitted a small period Lucas light in the end, I'd already fitted a 2000e box so fitting the switch wasn't an issue. I fitted a 55w Fog light on the back of my Cooper S, on a separate switch - great for getting a tailgater off your arse during a 'spirited' drive! 1
chinkamon Posted November 29, 2018 Author Report Posted November 29, 2018 Maybe fit 1 of these to the back, no bugger could say they didn't see me then ??
chinkamon Posted November 29, 2018 Author Report Posted November 29, 2018 Is that on the filler cap??
colr6 Posted November 29, 2018 Report Posted November 29, 2018 It's fitted where if was! Rev lights like this are normally fitted opposite side. They're really great as mentioned to really annoy people close behind ?
khanlad Posted November 29, 2018 Report Posted November 29, 2018 You should really have two though col, and a swivel type captains chair with your driving ? 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now