Fancy a 2 Litre X-Flow?

Davewrc

I think Toby kents 1900 and something pre x flow is on an original 'L' block

so it can be done on one of those blocks :thumbsup:

puddy :mrgreen:

It is mate, you are right, however a tall AX block would be better for less rod angularity. I would hope they have cast a standard height crossflow block capably of an 87mm bore - like some of the best AX blocks. These would be the ideal foundation for a big XF - mine is a compromise with issues that involved the water and oil ways.

I run an 85.4mm bore iwth an 84mm stroke for 1924cc

86mm pistons would be 1950cc

But a new AX block should do - 87mm Bore with an 84mm stroke - 1997cc. :P

Even a YB-loving heathen like yourself would want one! :ykt::wink::mrgreen:

Only if it had a turbo :thumbsup:

What size has nick mexicos taken his ax block out to oh mighty kent guru ?

Was the BDG a 2.0 Xflow block in alloy?? and I think Burtons have alloy Xflow blocks capable of going to 2.2, BUT I dont think the block s bored to take a in block cam or machind to take followers, fit one of the american alloy X flow heads,mmmm could be cooking on gas

Was the BDG a 2.0 Xflow block in alloy?? and I think Burtons have alloy Xflow blocks capable of going to 2.2, BUT I dont think the block s bored to take a in block cam or machind to take followers, fit one of the american alloy X flow heads,mmmm could be cooking on gas

i think they can be machined for cam but would need pushrod tubes doing too.

definately the ultimate pushrod engine that is.

Whats the limit for an old AX block Toby ??

I think the above is possible on old AX blocks. You're Rod's are getting near the cam with an 84mm stroke and need to be reduced in 4 places.

The bore walls need checking on all (AX) blocks to see what they will bore to - you need all the core plugs out and some method of coming down from above, I made a cut away set of vernier calipers to go into the water jackets. You can measure in to the front cylinder with a depth mic through the water pump hole and measure over the top of the block for the inside, you can do the same at the back through the core plug. You can measure through the side core plugs and do some maths - ideally you want 2.5 - 3mm thick walls. Much thinner than this they will burst or distort and not seal well. They need measuring all round, in as many places as possible - they're usually offset.

What size has nick mexicos taken his ax block out to oh mighty kent guru ?

:mrgreen: I think Nicks is on the 87mm bore - so around 1997cc but Wayne will confirm no doubt....

Of course he may never finish it! :wink::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i think they can be machined for cam but would need pushrod tubes doing too.

definately the ultimate pushrod engine that is.

:thumbsup: Absolutely mate, that bit of the block is missing on a BD block where your pushrods need to be. It either needs tubes or the type of block that "Mr Big" was running in the Classic Ford article a few months back.

All ally crossflow would be the puppy's parts for sure! :ykt:

Toby, Would the best way to figure out your max bord on any block to have it X-rayed?

I havent looked into it, but surely then you know the thickness of the bore the whole way round, and from top to bottom ?

Watching this thread closley :wink::ykt:

I think the above is possible on old AX blocks. You're Rod's are getting near the cam with an 84mm stroke and need to be reduced in 4 places.

The bore walls need checking on all (AX) blocks to see what they will bore to - you need all the core plugs out and some method of coming down from above, I made a cut away set of vernier calipers to go into the water jackets. You can measure in to the front cylinder with a depth mic through the water pump hole and measure over the top of the block for the inside, you can do the same at the back through the core plug. You can measure through the side core plugs and do some maths - ideally you want 2.5 - 3mm thick walls. Much thinner than this they will burst or distort and not seal well. They need measuring all round, in as many places as possible - they're usually offset.

Thanks for the info, wheres my verniers and hacksaw :mrgreen:

So have they been know to fail at 87mm on some AX blocks then ?

hang on...... not been around in a while, why you so intrested in the AX block is the fiest being treated to one? :mrgreen:

hang on...... not been around in a while, why you so intrested in the AX block is the fiest being treated to one? :mrgreen:

My RWD Fez has one waiting in the wings, its at 86.5 but could do with a rebore. Don't expect to see much of it soon though as I really need to finish the XR2 which is staying 1700cc. I'm just making a few enquires, if its scrap I'll start saving for one of these new blocks but if I can rebore it I may be able to give this old AX another lease of life.

Why not just get a BDTE rs 200 evo block, slightly bigger than a 2.0 bd block,

2.3, and get the Kent meister to make you a x flow head to suit 8)

puddy :thumbsup:

Toby, Would the best way to figure out your max bore on any block to have it X-rayed?

I havent looked into it, but surely then you know the thickness of the bore the whole way round, and from top to bottom ?

Watching this thread closley :wink::ykt:

Fiesta Steve suggested these as a way of measuring around the bores.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sealey-Large-Brak ... ltDomain_3

Ideal and accessable to most wallets! Not tried them but can't see why they wouldn't be perfect, even if they need a little modifying to help them fit down the water ways.

The ultrasound is a possibilty I believe but not available to all....just the lucky one! :roll::lol::lol::lol::thumbsup:

I know a man with an AX block, much to his dissapointment, after a cursory measuring I wouldn't recommend it for an 87mm bore - it would be less the 2.5mm wall - look at a ruler - that's getting pretty thin!

I have an L block with a local 2mm wall and I didn't have the confidence to run it....I'd rather put one liner in it than blow it, get oil in water, and potentially have a disaster scrapping all the bores!

how big could you go with liners in?

Pond liners ?

Bin liners?

:lol::lol::lol: Helping? Not really! :lol::lol::lol:

Don't know mate, you'd have to ask Burtons, Vulcan or someone who's done it....

I was told years ago, liners can make the block a bit flexible which is logical as you're weakening the deck....although I think I've heard of brazing liners in which must improve the integrity - anyone heard of it?

Are they ever so cheap? :shock:

Is he ever so cheap? :lol::thumbsup:

I know a man with an AX block, much to his dissapointment, after a cursory measuring I wouldn't recommend it for an 87mm bore - it would be less the 2.5mm wall - look at a ruler - that's getting pretty thin!

I have an L block with a local 2mm wall and I didn't have the confidence to run it....I'd rather put one liner in it than blow it, get oil in water, and potentially have a disaster scrapping all the bores!

I too know a man with a spare AX block, its allready wet lined, and is sitting beside his cooker as it needs a new liner, makes a great footrest, must have been there for the last 6 years!!

AX blocks, anybody know car people in SA, AX blocks were fitted to 1.6 Sei-ras, may be a little earner importing AX blocks to europe

Are they ever so cheap? :shock:

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,no.

Is he ever so cheap? :lol::thumbsup:

He only bought me a coke at the wingspan meet last week, so yes.

puddy ;)

needs the type of block that "Mr Big" was running in the Classic Ford article a few months back.

need to speak to dave bean in the usa if you want an alloy block; http://www.davebean.com/specials6.htm#TCBlock

although I think I've heard of brazing liners in which must improve the integrity - anyone heard of it?

yeah, Cosworth had a development engine called the BDF which was based on an Ashcroft siamese block with brazed in steel liners and a 88.9 mm bore - made 275bhp :thumbsup: Brian Hart decided he didn't like the idea of brazed in liners and then started casting the alloy block - Ford only became aware of these blocks when Peter Ashcroft visited Brians workshop and tripped over one! This is what became the BDG

How about a Full Race 1999cc All Alloy Xflow with 90.55mm Bore !

Check out ebay item no. 290467821085, not mine but nice to see on here if someone wants to put a link up.

The AX swept volume on mine is 1852cc with a 85mm nominal Bore so a bit small in comparison.