Mot, or not, wot to do....

chinkamon

Hi all

So as I'm sure we're all aware of the MOT rules have changed as of middle of May or something like that,

My question is my MOT runs out on May the 1st I know the car is fine and will pass ( my dad until recently ran his own test centre) but do I save the £40 for a full tank of fuel and a couple of pints or put it through the MOT and declare it a VHI next year?? 

What would you do??

Cheers

Me personally I would VHI it as I know 'like you' I can maintain the car to an MOT passable standard. I don't have an issue MOTing mine, although I will look more deeply into whether mine will be eligible not to have to. If not then, that's fine by me.

Fozzy

I'm only guessing, but I would think, that at least on the first VHI, the car would need to have an MOT of some sort, either fresh or remaining, just really to prove it exists, otherwise, what are effectively just log books, ie rusty rotten or non existent cars, would suddenly become taxed vehicles, and vehicle fraud would go through the roof, as if its not bad enough now

I going to keep mine MOTd. I appreciate that genuine classic enthusiasts look after their cars as best they can. But a fresh set of eyes looking over it cant be a bad thing. What about (even reasonably new) brake flexi hoses? When a car is being motd the flexis are checked when under pressure. Close inspection of all steering, brakes and suspension components and vehicle structure. Someone who knows what theyre doing looking over your car cant be a bad thing surely. Worth £40 a year of my money.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rich T said:

I going to keep mine MOTd. I appreciate that genuine classic enthusiasts look after their cars as best they can. But a fresh set of eyes looking over it cant be a bad thing. What about (even reasonably new) brake flexi hoses? When a car is being motd the flexis are checked when under pressure. Close inspection of all steering, brakes and suspension components and vehicle structure. Someone who knows what theyre doing looking over your car cant be a bad thing surely. Worth £40 a year of my money.

I agree, mine had just had a lot of work over the last 8 months, all was good but 2 washers on the engine crossmember had broken so the fixings had come loose . I am fairly competent with the spanner’s but a farmer as a job, I am much happier to pay someone a small fee to look over my work so when I am out playing everything should work as expected 

I will be MOTing mine, should the worst happen and something breaks and/or an accident occurs, it shows a level of care to insurers and the 5-0. I think the classic car market will begin to get flooded by tarted up tax/MOT exempt cars and some unwary purchasers will get spanked.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ray said:

some elaboration would be good if you could please

the logbooks will have a section on them for you to declare modifications or vhi for a standard un modified vehicle its a new way of the dvla/vosa policing what we can and cant do

On 4/26/2018 at 21:32, eeb43 said:

the logbooks will have a section on them for you to declare modifications or vhi for a standard un modified vehicle its a new way of the dvla/vosa policing what we can and cant do

Where you read that? I've seen nothing official that said new log books are being issued. Anyhow I doubt they will as that costs them money. It hinted in the original proposals that the scheme is to cost as little to implement as possible as there is no cash return. As far as I'm aware they were updating the V112 to cover it all. Its a simple declaration form for MoT exemption and a yes or no to is your car substantially modified.

10 hours ago, Kenbex522 said:

Where you read that? I've seen nothing official that said new log books are being issued. Anyhow I doubt they will as that costs them money. It hinted in the original proposals that the scheme is to cost as little to implement as possible as there is no cash return. As far as I'm aware they were updating the V112 to cover it all. Its a simple declaration form for MoT exemption and a yes or no to is your car substantially modified.

its on rodsnsods but they brought out the red v5c a few years ago and just sent them out

32 minutes ago, eeb43 said:

its on rodsnsods but they brought out the red v5c a few years ago and just sent them out

not everyone got a v5c either, my 5 series is still sat on the previous old blue one, (not the very old one) yet its always been taxed, mot'd and insured, they sent new out for all my other cars at the time, just not that one

5 hours ago, eeb43 said:

Thats because they had a shedload of logbooks stolen, so they changed them. As i  said I doubt they are changing log books as all this is VHI thing self declaration.

• 4 weeks later...