Which modern engine fits best?

Wildcat

I have a 2.0 cortina based e type (jpr wildcat) I love it, however, it overheats within two miles of driving.  I am considering fitting the most modern engine I can.  Anyone know the most modern unit which would fit straight in without too much bother.  I used to be a mechanic 25 years ago and still have access to workshop and tools etc.

Any advice is much appreciated.

If it's overheating that quickly it's more likely to be a problem with the cooling system than specifically the engine. Is it pinto powered?

if you are looking for a Ford engine then the zetec is a popular cheap choice.....but it won't cure your overheating problem if the cause isn't engine related. 

27 minutes ago, Vista said:

If it's overheating that quickly it's more likely to be a problem with the cooling system than specifically the engine. Is it pinto powered?

if you are looking for a Ford engine then the zetec is a popular cheap choice.....but it won't cure your overheating problem if the cause isn't engine related. 

But one advantage of using a Zetec is it is a lean burn, hotter running engine so doesn't mind (as much) a reduced cooling system. I'm guessing with an E type the rad. size is much compromised so may need double thickness cores so whereas a Pinto is happiest at 72-78 deg C, the Zetec will still be good at around 90 deg C with fan switching at 95 odd degrees.

V6 in a E type - sacrilege! For a purest, even the V12 Jag engine doesn't count LOL!

Think what you have to consider is what you want from the engine, economy / power / sound  plus are you going to lift the bonnet ???? If your happy with what's in apart from the boiling issues stick with it and sort. Going zetec, yes cheap to buy but converting to rwd can be costly with sumps/ w/ pumps water rails ecu and poss a few other bits. Done a bit with challenger e type kit cars but they're jag right through apart from the shell. But a cortina based e type just don't ring right with me, sorry Straight six or the modern v6 as an alternative. Your decision would depend on how much work your willing to do to convert.

Just to clarify, my pinto cylinder head is warped, one of the valve seats are badly corroded and the valve stems have excessive wear.  Given the fact that the engine is 40 years old, I was hoping to fit a more modern design engine without changing too much., or am I stuck in the 80's?

Ps the car is fibre glass, so weighs not much more than an old mini, so the need for horse power is not that great.  What is evolved is the zetec conversion mentioned?

9 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Just to clarify, my pinto cylinder head is warped, one of the valve seats are badly corroded and the valve stems have excessive wear.  Given the fact that the engine is 40 years old, I was hoping to fit a more modern design engine without changing too much., or am I stuck in the 80's?

Ps the car is fibre glass, so weighs not much more than an old mini, so the need for horse power is not that great.  What is evolved is the zetec conversion mentioned?

overheats  and head warped???? you sure its not a vauxhall engine??????

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, agree Zetec is the way to go. You can get a brand new one made on the Ford production line with full attention to detail and tolerences for little over 1k. Comes with Fuel injection bits but no ECU. 136HP  out of the box but easy to up that if you want more power. Not sure on site rules regarding posting links but a well know Kit car Spares supplier has them in stock ready for despatch. Google it and you will find it.

As Col said you will need a few bits to with it to make it RWD. but for what you will end-up with its got to be worth consideration surely.