Guest cortinamad-gonetoo Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 who agrees with the smoke free england law im happy with it as a x smoker i think it stinks when people smoke and love a drink so cant wait to go in a pub with no smoke whats your oppinion
Burns Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 i've never smoked so i'm happy with the law, i live with smokers and all of my stuff stinks now
Cookie Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 I don't smoke (anymore) but i think its just another nail in the coffin of freedom to live as you wish. On the bright side at least your local drinking hole will smell of sweat and stale beer and not fags now It's like anything it has its positives and negative points, although the ban won't effect me in any way anymore I just think we get change for the sakeof change, smoking in a pub has been around since the pub , what next no one is allowed butter on their bread????????
Stu_B Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 I can't wait! Nothing worse than going out & coming back reeking of fags!! I do wonder how it's gonna affect the night life though! Are people gonna pay to get in clubs if they have to leave after half an hour cos they can't smoke!!?
Admin Vista Posted May 31, 2007 Admin Report Posted May 31, 2007 I agree whole heartedly! Leaving the whole health debate out of it for the moment, I'm sick fed up to the back teeth of going out for a night out and coming home with my eyes stinging, and my hair and clothes stinking like an ash tray. Why should the majority of the population have to put up with the unpleasant by products that the activities of the minority produce? I remember an old saying "Your pleasure in life is smoking, the by-product of which, covers me and permeates my clothing leaving me smelling like a dirty ash tray. I too have a pleasure, my pleasure in life is drinking. The by-product of which is urine. Next time I am out, how would you like it if I stood up and pissed all over you?"
mk2_escort_chick Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 As long as I can smoke in my car/outside work i'm not fussed. I dont smoke loads (less than 10 a day!) and usually only smoke at work,college or if i go out (pub) I must admit though, a double jd and coke goes nicely with a ciggie *oh well*
Pye Man Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 Will be looking forward to waking up without the smell and coughing, after a night out. I agree with Cookie though, just the government eating our freedom
Admin Vista Posted May 31, 2007 Admin Report Posted May 31, 2007 Will be looking forward to waking up without the smell and coughing, after a night out. I agree with Cookie though, just the government eating our freedom Doesn't that depend on your perspective? From a non smokers point of view it could easily be argued that the government is providing freedom.
Pye Man Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 Will be looking forward to waking up without the smell and coughing, after a night out. I agree with Cookie though, just the government eating our freedom Doesn't that depend on your perspective? From a non smokers point of view it could easily be argued that the government is providing freedom. Yeah I see what you mean. The gripe that I have is that it seems like the freedom of choice is being reduced. I think there will be a knock on effect though regarding sales of Tobacco/alchol, therefore leading to a tax hike else where, probably motoring . As with every thing there is good and bad points depending on which side of the fence your on.
Admin Vista Posted May 31, 2007 Admin Report Posted May 31, 2007 Will be looking forward to waking up without the smell and coughing, after a night out. I agree with Cookie though, just the government eating our freedom Doesn't that depend on your perspective? From a non smokers point of view it could easily be argued that the government is providing freedom. Yeah I see what you mean. The gripe that I have is that it seems like the freedom of choice is being reduced. I think there will be a knock on effect though regarding sales of Tobacco/alchol, therefore leading to a tax hike else where, probably motoring . As with every thing there is good and bad points depending on which side of the fence your on. Again the freedom of choice issue is largely dependent on what side of the fence you stand. Nobody is saying smokers must quit, they therefore retain their freedom of choice. But non smokers to date have never enjoyed the freedom of choice to have a smoke free social life, they are now being given that choice. As non smokers do in fact account for an ever larger proportion of the general public, I think this was almost inevitable. You may be right on the tax issue, and if cigarette sales plummet as a result there may be employment issues to consider too. However you can probably offset some of that loss of revenue against the reduction in costs to the NHS, costs of cleaning up smokers cigarette ends in public places etc etc
Pye Man Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 Will be looking forward to waking up without the smell and coughing, after a night out. I agree with Cookie though, just the government eating our freedom Doesn't that depend on your perspective? From a non smokers point of view it could easily be argued that the government is providing freedom. Yeah I see what you mean. The gripe that I have is that it seems like the freedom of choice is being reduced. I think there will be a knock on effect though regarding sales of Tobacco/alchol, therefore leading to a tax hike else where, probably motoring . As with every thing there is good and bad points depending on which side of the fence your on. Again the freedom of choice issue is largely dependent on what side of the fence you stand. Nobody is saying smokers must quit, they therefore retain their freedom of choice. But non smokers to date have never enjoyed the freedom of choice to have a smoke free social life, they are now being given that choice. As non smokers do in fact account for an ever larger proportion of the general public, I think this was almost inevitable. You may be right on the tax issue, and if cigarette sales plummet as a result there may be employment issues to consider too. However you can probably offset some of that loss of revenue against the reduction in costs to the NHS, costs of cleaning up smokers cigarette ends in public places etc etc Very good point that. Mind you wasnt aware that smokers are minority
Admin Vista Posted May 31, 2007 Admin Report Posted May 31, 2007 Very good point that. Mind you wasnt aware that smokers are minority Some statistics for you at the link, in 2005 it was estimated that 24% of the population were smokers,a figure that has decreased every year from 1974 (45%) Now I realise statistics aren't fact and that they can be distorted to mean anything, but think about all the people you know through your work and social life and work out how many of them smoke, I bet it's not as many as you might think http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact01.html
bmxdave Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 I hink the government has shat one, and given in. Theyve realised how much smoking is costing them. In the past theyd never even consider banning it, the tax income was too much. But now, when they look into the future, theyve realised how much itll cost the NHS in treatments, and it far outweighs the income. So they suddenly try to ban smoking in certain places.
sambo Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 Well, i think it's a good thing. I smoke. Alot. Around 20 a day and if i'm out drinking then i smoke alot more. Recently me and my girlfriend went to Edinburgh and i couldnt smoke in the pubs and it was great because i didnt smoke 2 fags per pint like i usually do!! All in all, people will cut down but i cant see how clubs and pubs are going to enforce it in the first stages?!
Gareth Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 I think it's a good thing too, I have heavy smokin days (normally when I'm workin on the car), average 8-15 per day. It'll give those who've said "I'm definitely gonna quit" the kick in the ar5e they need, and with this new nicotine free non smoking pill that should be out by 1st July, there's never been a better time to quit. Right, I'm off for a fag
Noodles Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 I will be glad that the old fag hag who pushes her way infront of me at the train station no matter how close the edge I am and then sparks up wont be able to smoke, somtimes i wonder what would happenn if i kicked her in front of a train
Twinkle Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 I too have a pleasure, my pleasure in life is drinking. The by-product of which is urine. Next time I am out, how would you like it if I stood up and pissed all over you?" i have my pleasure and its smoking, the only time i drink is when i go camping with osf and i hate being breathed over by people that have been drinking especially when they are pissed and spitting while they try to shout in your ear cos the music is too loud! so what would youre opinion be if they banned drinking? its no different really they are both drugs, both addictive and both have serious health consequences? and as for the urine have you never had splash back? I hink the government has shat one, and given in. Theyve realised how much smoking is costing them. In the past theyd never even consider banning it, the tax income was too much. But now, when they look into the future, theyve realised how much itll cost the NHS in treatments, and it far outweighs the income. So they suddenly try to ban smoking in certain places. a smoker contributes more in tax to the nhs than the treatment costs for smoking related diseases so therefore the reminant of tax contributes to non smoking related illnesses. in other words smokers effectively save the nhs money as they pay for more than just their own treatment.
Admin Vista Posted May 31, 2007 Admin Report Posted May 31, 2007 I too have a pleasure, my pleasure in life is drinking. The by-product of which is urine. Next time I am out, how would you like it if I stood up and pissed all over you?" i have my pleasure and its smoking, the only time i drink is when i go camping with osf and i hate being breathed over by people that have been drinking especially when they are pissed and spitting while they try to shout in your ear cos the music is too loud! so what would youre opinion be if they banned drinking? its no different really they are both drugs, both addictive and both have serious health consequences? and as for the urine have you never had splash back? Tish and piffle, to get the effect you're describing you have to be virtually sat in someones lap. To end up stinking of stale smoke you only need to be in the same room as a smoker. Yes they're both drugs, both addictive and both have health consequences. But on the whole drinking does not affect the life of those that choose not to partake in it, whereas smoking affects everbody and significantly so. I will defend a smokers right to smoke to the death (no pun intended) however a smoker has no right to force others to share his / her habit. a smoker contributes more in tax to the nhs than the treatment costs for smoking related diseases so therefore the reminant of tax contributes to non smoking related illnesses. in other words smokers effectively save the nhs money as they pay for more than just their own treatment. Come on, you don't really believe that do you? Where are you getting your facts? For instance: - You'd need to know how much tax revenue is raised from the sale of cigarettes Now as all tax revenue goes into one big pot, you'd then need to know what the total NHS budget is Then how much the total for treating every smoking related illness costs the NHS do you see how complicated these figures are getting? It;s much like trying to work out how much of the income generated from road tax is actually spent on the roads
borneo Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 I'm all up for it. I hate the way the smoke ruins the smell of stale beer on my clothes and the beautiful perfume that is left by the floor of the mosh pitt!
Twinkle Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 I too have a pleasure, my pleasure in life is drinking. The by-product of which is urine. Next time I am out, how would you like it if I stood up and pissed all over you?" i have my pleasure and its smoking, the only time i drink is when i go camping with osf and i hate being breathed over by people that have been drinking especially when they are pissed and spitting while they try to shout in your ear cos the music is too loud! so what would youre opinion be if they banned drinking? its no different really they are both drugs, both addictive and both have serious health consequences? and as for the urine have you never had splash back? Tish and piffle, to get the effect you're describing you have to be virtually sat in someones lap. To end up stinking of stale smoke you only need to be in the same room as a smoker. Yes they're both drugs, both addictive and both have health consequences. But on the whole drinking does not affect the life of those that choose not to partake in it, whereas smoking affects everbody and significantly so. I will defend a smokers right to smoke to the death (no pun intended) however a smoker has no right to force others to share his / her habit. have you never had someone knock a pint against you and spill their drink against you? have you never been in a packed pub shoulder to shoulder or queing at the bar? have you never had some reeking malt sitting on your lap? have you ever been caught up in a punch up between two pissed people? you dont normally find smoking starts punch ups or puts people in a&e yet alcohol manages to keep the police, ambulance service and the NHS extremely busy! does a smoker have a few smokes too many then go home and beat his wife and children?
Noodles Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 Im all up for banning drinking would slove alot of problems
Admin Vista Posted May 31, 2007 Admin Report Posted May 31, 2007 have you never had someone knock a pint against you and spill their drink against you? have you never been in a packed pub shoulder to shoulder or queing at the bar? have you never had some reeking malt sitting on your lap? have you ever been caught up in a punch up between two pissed people? you dont normally find smoking starts punch ups or puts people in a&e yet alcohol manages to keep the police, ambulance service and the NHS extremely busy! does a smoker have a few smokes too many then go home and beat his wife and children? Beer spilt on you is an occupational hazard that everyone chooses to face when they go to the pub, it is not a concious decision taken by the minority of the pubs occupants to force the majority of the pubs occupants to endure stale smoke Sorry Twink there is nothing you can say that will change the fact that a smoker has no right to force others to share his / her habit
Twinkle Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 have you never had someone knock a pint against you and spill their drink against you? have you never been in a packed pub shoulder to shoulder or queing at the bar? have you never had some reeking malt sitting on your lap? have you ever been caught up in a punch up between two pissed people? you dont normally find smoking starts punch ups or puts people in a&e yet alcohol manages to keep the police, ambulance service and the NHS extremely busy! does a smoker have a few smokes too many then go home and beat his wife and children? Beer spilt on you is an occupational hazard that everyone chooses to face when they go to the pub, it is not a concious decision taken by the minority of the pubs occupants to force the majority of the pubs occupants to endure stale smoke. Sorry Twink there is nothing you can say that will change the fact that a smoker has no right to force others to share his / her habit. a few years back it was normal for pubs to be smokey thats just the way it was, tbh it doesnt bother me that much as i hate it when it gets too smokey but the choice has been taken away completely now as you cant even go outside for one, thats the bit that annoys me.
Noodles Posted May 31, 2007 Report Posted May 31, 2007 One view iv heard and like the sound of is why should the NHS pay for treatment of self inflicted illnesses caused by drinking and smoking?
Admin Vista Posted May 31, 2007 Admin Report Posted May 31, 2007 I'm Getting lost with all these quotes. Oh and make no mistake I agree totally that a smoker has a right to smoke, also I have no intention of claiming drinking is a victimless past time either. I just think everyone should have the right to choose, non smokers would like to be able to enjoy a social life without smoke, smokers can still enjoy their social life, they just need to interrupt it for brief periods to smoke somewhere else. Explain, why can't you go outside for one? I've not heard of any ruling that prevents you from smoking outside?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now