Mk1 rs2000 decisions

Some of you know I have a sorry looking x rally car mk1 RS2000 and needs pretty much every panel replacing 

I have the engine parts sorted, straight cut gearbox, but decisions on the rear axle need to be made I've found a fully floating rear axle at a reasonable price but will need bubble arches due to its width 

do I go full grp 4 with bubble arches the rear quarters need replacing so could buy them complete or stick with a baby atlas under standard arches

some of you I know are going to say it’s my decision but I want some feedback please, as do I build it as it was back in 1976 or is it ok for it to evolve, I want to stick with the pinto as that’s what it was built with! I do have a RWD st170 on TB’s ready to go lol (no no no) 

I’m in both camps really, I like either. The one thing that makes the car is the quality of body finish. A good std shelled car with normal style wheels, 2up and 2 down on the front with quarter bumpers bloody good body work looks stunning. Arched car with wheels that fill the arches again the level of finish makes it or breaks it. If you go bubbles bin the pinto and go ST as you’ve gone away from std so whether it was  fitted with it originally is a bit by the by.

6 minutes ago, colr6 said:

I’m in both camps really, I like either. The one thing that makes the car is the quality of body finish. A good std shelled car with normal style wheels, 2up and 2 down on the front with quarter bumpers bloody good body work looks stunning. Arched car with wheels that fill the arches again the level of finish makes it or breaks it. If you go bubbles bin the pinto and go ST as you’ve gone away from std so whether it was  fitted with it originally is a bit by the by.

Thanks for the decision Col that’s made my mind up 😂

I was all for standard arches with baby atlas no question for an original RS2000 till you mentioned that you had another, I didn't realise you had 2. If one has been restored original for Queen and Country Concours then you have done your bit for posterity. If your still using a Pinto in the 2nd one then its clear your intent is a sympathetic restoration anyways even with bubble arches and an ode to its rally past. And hey not to mention the axle, a bargain is a bargain.

6 hours ago, notenoughtime said:

Anyone else want give there opinion? 

If you're actually going to rally it then go for the big arch heavy duty rally slag, but if not, then you'll be spending a lot of money on parts and work you don't need and probably de-valuing the car in the process. Personally I'd build it as a road car with subtle period upgrades. 

1 hour ago, Vista said:

If you're actually going to rally it then go for the big arch heavy duty rally slag, but if not, then you'll be spending a lot of money on parts and work you don't need and probably de-valuing the car in the process. Personally I'd build it as a road car with subtle period upgrades. 

I have group 4 crossmember, adj tca’s, original mag sump guard, atlas LSD, Fuel cell, Bilsteins, engine, carbs, straight cut quaife box, I need to build a cage which isn’t a problem and add the seats which I need to buy whatever and if I needed RS sheels they are probably more than a set of contours lol 

@Vista would it de value it? This is my dilemma 

12 hours ago, notenoughtime said:

I have group 4 crossmember, adj tca’s, original mag sump guard, atlas LSD, Fuel cell, Bilsteins, engine, carbs, straight cut quaife box, I need to build a cage which isn’t a problem and add the seats which I need to buy whatever and if I needed RS sheels they are probably more than a set of contours lol 

@Vista would it de value it? This is my dilemma 

I think, now I see the long standing rally history, my opinion has probably altered towards rally car on whether to go road car or rally car. 

And RE value, not sure (based on above). If you were taking a standard road car without that rally history and chopping it about,  then in my opinion definitely yes it would reduce the value. But a car with that rally provenance? Probably not.

9 minutes ago, Vista said:

I think, now I see the long standing rally history, my opinion has probably altered on it. 

And RE value, not sure (based on above). If you were taking a standard road car without tha history and chopping it about,  then definitely yes. But a car with that provenance? Probably not.

@Vista I’ve read that four or five times and can’t get your meaning, I’m sure it’s positive lol

Are you going to put it on the road, or keep it as a rally car? I think with the history that you have, especially the pictures, you should keep it as close to how it was, but on the other hand if it is going to be a rally car then it needs bubble arches!