Could a lot of us end up on a q plate ?

mk1alexp

1 hour ago, eeb43 said:

it wont need iva if its original enough to have 8 points

i think most of the cars on here have had bulkhead and floor mods. i would imagine 4 linking, rear turrets and auto tunnels would count as modified. and if the bulkheads been reshaped or moved back to fit a bigger engine. eg a certain redtop anglia. then thats 5 points down the shitter.  luckily i still have a pinto where a pinto should be, and a 4 speed box. will just have double the original power. would a bolt in roll cage count as chassis mods?

1 minute ago, colr6 said:

From a certain red top Anglia owner the cage would not as the original monocoque construction remains the same.

thats ok then, cos i'd like to use it. just incase! my pals just had his 100e bulkhead moved back to fit a pinto in, what a bummer!

1 hour ago, RWL81P said:

thats ok then, cos i'd like to use it. just incase! my pals just had his 100e bulkhead moved back to fit a pinto in, what a bummer!

then it needs to look as though its original fitment! but i didnt say that! lol

right had a mate on the phone today his dad has got a triumph 500 twin from the 50s he restored it some years ago he has the form there to get mot exemption and it asks on there if the bike has had any mods its a tick box if yes! so its already started to happen he is panicking as he hard tailed it and fitted longer forks i have told him if they come out to say its an original hard tail and un modified

Just now, eeb43 said:

no its as it came from fords the bulkhead should be that shape!!!!!!!

i meant the cage! i haven't chopped the bulkhead or tunnel. i was gonna fit an auto tunnel but dont think i will now. has got a big diff tunnel though with me using an atlas.

6 minutes ago, eeb43 said:

right had a mate on the phone today his dad has got a triumph 500 twin from the 50s he restored it some years ago he has the form there to get mot exemption and it asks on there if the bike has had any mods its a tick box if yes! so its already started to happen he is panicking as he hard tailed it and fitted longer forks i have told him if they come out to say its an original hard tail and un modified

This was one of my points, where are all these experts coming from to say what should or should not be ??

This was one of my points, where are all these experts coming from to say what should or should not be ??

well my triumph too is from 57. supposedly lol. its got a t140 engine, hardtail, different forks and wheels. i built it from scratch about 5 year ago. as i had the logbook for it, all i did was insure it, pop down to the post office where they put it down as historic. so free tax. and it siad mot was not needed as it was voluntry. never had any questions asked.

10 minutes ago, RWL81P said:

well my triumph too is from 57. supposedly lol. its got a t140 engine, hardtail, different forks and wheels. i built it from scratch about 5 year ago. as i had the logbook for it, all i did was insure it, pop down to the post office where they put it down as historic. so free tax. and it siad mot was not needed as it was voluntry. never had any questions asked.

you will on the next tax reminder

48 minutes ago, colr6 said:

no where for another 7 months, as it doesn't come into force till may 20th Colin

but there is a is man who uses this forum, who's been having trouble getting a V5c for his mex, previous owner had an up to date one, but as the new owner, he now has to prove its a complete car as it was produced on the line to get a V5c, but he bought it as a project in pieces already started, he's had to send photos of what they asked for, they're still not happy, and he has got to produce the car complete at a centre for inspection, again, if they are not happy, its hello Q plate, and he is very worried, as it could mean his savings down the drain

I haven't spoken to him for a couple of months, so that's the latest update I have

but that says to me, that the centres for inspection are already in place

The thing is Ray there's not to many of us left who remember what was on a car/ bike / van in its original manufacture. So what chance have they got dealing with such a vast array of vehicles. I have various lists of bike frame numbers to tell me what configuration a bike was made in, can't see them having that info on such a range of all vehicles. It would also be very hard for us to prove its right as I'd tags on the likes of boxes and diffs have long gone. This is going to be a nightmare for both parties.

The thing is Ray there's not to many of us left who remember what was on a car/ bike / van in its original manufacture. So what chance have they got dealing with such a vast array of vehicles. I have various lists of bike frame numbers to tell me what configuration a bike was made in, can't see them having that info on such a range of all vehicles. It would also be very hard for us to prove its right as I'd tags on the likes of boxes and diffs have long gone. This is going to be a nightmare for both parties.

its been something in the making from the 90s, type approval. they are wanting all old vehicles off the roads and have been for years, they was us all to sit in a toyota prius or some electric shite. 

The problem is the classic/vintage vehicle has such a massive worldwide following they're certainly going to piss a lot of people off!

it also produces so much revenue for a hell of a lot of manufacturers of parts. Especially the aftermarket modifying suppliers.

15 minutes ago, colr6 said:

no argument from me on that Colin, it took me a lot of research and to buy an untouched car to find how my blue car was produced, and it will still have to go through the same checks as anyone elses, with the same risk, but as the documentation says, its going to happen, how is not totally sure till November, but we cant bury heads in the sand, this has been there a long while, and I cant understand clubs either not knowing or burying their heads saying it wont happen, and as you can see, the consultation period has now long expired, I was told of this by an MOT tester about 4 years ago, but have to be honest, I didn't give it the time of day myself till recently

2 minutes ago, colr6 said:

The problem is the classic/vintage vehicle has such a massive worldwide following they're certainly going to piss a lot of people off!

it also produces so much revenue for a hell of a lot of can be proven manufactured prior to 1988manufacturers of parts. Especially the aftermarket modifying suppliers.

from the documentation, no one is saying you cant do it Colin, what its saying is, if you cant prove it carried out before 1988, then your car will have to go through inspections and regular MOTs, pay road tax and possibly carry a Q plate

Basically, if the parts on your car can be proved older than 30 years from either the manufacturer or the fact they went out of business prior to then, I would think your ok

but suspension and brakes that were only made after 2004, I doubt youd get away with

The thing is for someone like me who has poss 17 vehicles that now come under this, it's going to be a very long and costly exercise for me. If you put up a fight they will just turn round and say have mot, pay the toad tax and by the way your now the owner of 17 consecutive Q plates and the latter has just knocked 50% off the value of my vehicles 

7 minutes ago, Ray said:

from the documentation, no one is saying you cant do it Colin, what its saying is, if you cant prove it carried out before 1988, then your car will have to go through inspections and regular MOTs, pay road tax and possibly carry a Q plate

Basically, if the parts on your car can be proved older than 30 years from either the manufacturer or the fact they went out of business prior to then, I would think your ok

but suspension and brakes that were only made after 2004, I doubt youd get away with

brand new suspension and brakes in the style of the original should be ok

The thing is for someone like me who has poss 17 vehicles that now come under this, it's going to be a very long and costly exercise for me. If you put up a fight they will just turn round and say have mot, pay the toad tax and by the way your now the owner of 17 consecutive Q plates and the latter has just knocked 50% off the value of my vehicles 

the q plate isnt the problem col its passing iva to get a q plate thats the problem