3 minutes ago, Jerrytom161 said:

Hi Ian ,Still got a few things to sort out on it , to get it where i want it to be . 

Hello Dave, I think you've been spending too much time with Ray if you think you still need to make it better🤣

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

I suffered from prolapsed discs in my back 2 years ago, so i now struggle to drive the Mexico in the fixed bucket seats it has  and i don't want to change  them as its part of the custom pack it was supplied with from new.  During the 5 months i  took to recover from my back problem i decided to look more in depth into the Mexico’s history.  Luckily before the days of data protection, i was fortunate enough to get the info on all the previous owner changes from new and the first was fords themselves.  I have recently found out, courtesy of stewart at the Avo club, that  my Mexico was used to promote the AVO marque being displayed  on stands at promotional shows in 1973/74 before being sold to its first owner. The car now sits in my garage more than me driving it.  This was not in the plan after doing all the work i have done over the last 9 years of ownership. I do not want the Mex to end up as an ornament in the garage, so for this reason i have with a lot of thought over the last 2 years and with a heavy heavy heart have decided to let someone else use it as it was designed for so i have decided to sell it.😔
 Its been a tough tough decision to make.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with XWC, and doing all the work.
I have done a lot of research into selling and have decided to sell via a dealer simply because i do not want tyre kickers, time wasters coming to my house and also advertising the fact i have a Mexico for some undesirable Herbert to think that car is going to look better in his garage than mine. !!! 
KGF Classics have been highly recommended to me so i have decided to sell  through them . The Mexico was taken to Peterborough on Thursday by Karl who is a very knowledgeable, helpful and pleasant guy to deal with . We will now wait to see what happens and hopefully  XWC will find a new owner soon . 

6FEBEDD3-223A-485A-8F20-7DA3D0736CAF.jpeg

1E4A2D44-E22B-4575-A472-7C21AE4FFC6A.jpeg

278B0856-6057-4996-84C4-23EF1579FCC8.jpeg

E0D5211A-FC0E-4933-956E-5E94E700D149.jpeg

C7A450F2-0401-4ED9-BD68-A489FA2E93A3.jpeg

A98AEB0A-908D-4521-927E-D4B1647033F3.jpeg

F9F6F5BC-9FA3-44EE-B2C3-F7C213651E91.jpeg

F23D6846-8657-4395-9386-CC3443749685.jpeg

F6CC3631-4EA4-4C1A-97CD-460A2B6E6464.jpeg

7ADBD436-643F-46A2-800B-985F4E24D694.jpeg

5A813A76-8E48-4361-AFE7-EC4A27F79DA4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

That's a shame

Did you consider changing the seats for period recliners but keeping your fixed bucket seats for a future reversion to standard trim? I also have severe back pain and disc issues issues but find the mk1 roll top recliners in my RS and the Cobra Le Man's recliners in the van both cater for my discomfort adequately.

3 hours ago, Vista said:

That's a shame

Did you consider changing the seats for period recliners but keeping your fixed bucket seats for a future reversion to standard trim? I also have severe back pain and disc issues issues but find the mk1 roll top recliners in my RS and the Cobra Le Man's recliners in the van both cater for my discomfort adequately.

I looked at all the options tbh , but i was also getting more and more scared of taking it out as it draws a lot of attention , it only takes one  ars****e  to follow you or something and before you know it ,its gone . Thats one of the reasons too. Its a real shame , but decision is made . Believe me i thought about it long and hard for a long time . 

Stunning looking car. 

That's how I actually bought mine about 10 years ago. Guy that had it stopped using it, as his Dad couldn't get in and out of it, and the  money helped towards his house deposit. 

Only had mine out once so far this year, as we're going out more in the T5 with our granddaughter on weekends. 

Hope you get what you want for it. Will you get something a bit more modern with seats that suit or not bother with anything? 

1 hour ago, DT36 said:

Stunning looking car. 

That's how I actually bought mine about 10 years ago. Guy that had it stopped using it, as his Dad couldn't get in and out of it, and the  money helped towards his house deposit. 

Only had mine out once so far this year, as we're going out more in the T5 with our granddaughter on weekends. 

Hope you get what you want for it. Will you get something a bit more modern with seats that suit or not bother with anything? 

I have bought something 10 years newer , but a total resto project , its in the projects and restoration section on the forum . 
Mk1 Fiesta XR2 and yes the seats are bit more comfy for me . Time will tell . 
thank you for your kind comment . I described Mex as a nice repaired car . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jerrytom161 said:

I have bought something 10 years newer , but a total resto project , its in the projects and restoration section on the forum . 
Mk1 Fiesta XR2 and yes the seats are bit more comfy for me . Time will tell . 
thank you for your kind comment . I described Mex as a nice repaired car . 

Ah rite. Yes, I remember the thread now 😁

I'm getting old... 

I had a call from Karl at KGF classics yesterday afternoon to say  they have detailed XWC  but not listed it on their website yet .

He has a customer who was very interested after being told that they were getting a Daytona yellow Mexico coming  in soon , he previewed my Mex yesterday and fell in love with the colour also the fact it was standard looking and had  a few subtle mods  to make it a bit more user friendly also  he loved the history i had manage to find out about it and put together too . 
Karl said the customer has now bought my Mexico after the viewing   . I  hope he enjoys the car as much as i did in my 9 years of ownership . 
i will miss the old girl , but time to move on …….

now the next chapter ..  the XR2. Once i have cleared out my garage of course !!!!!😁

• Like 2

Great that it sold so quickly! Hope they didn't sell below market for a quick sale? Although to be fair I have never known KGF to do that! (The opposite in fact) One shame is we didn't get to see it listed on their website :cry: They photo shoots are always very impressive and was looking forward to seeing yours up in lights!

10 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Great that it sold so quickly! Hope they didn't sell below market for a quick sale? Although to be fair I have never known KGF to do that! (The opposite in fact) One shame is we didn't get to see it listed on their website :cry: They photo shoots are always very impressive and was looking forward to seeing yours up in lights!

Karl at KGF classics said it wiil be on their website soon under the sold  section . So you will be able  to see it . I asked as I want the photos and walk round video of my car too . He said it will all done . So watch this space . Lol

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, mk1super said:

Just read this from the start lovely example and my heart sank when I got to the last page and seen it went. Hope you’re better now mate. 

At the moment i am not too bad and mobile again and have been for quite a few months now  … just being very careful what i do  . Thanks for reading the Mexico  restoration thread , i sometimes  have a flick through it  now and again myself it just makes me realise what i went through  to achieve what i did  it was a lovely car  imo . Karl at KGF classics  said it was a collector who bought it and put it into his collection , its a  shame really as i was hoping it would go to someone who was going to use it and maybe join either the Avo owners club or OSF so i could still see whats happening to the Mexico . I have  started a  restoration thread on my XR2 if you are interested  , hopefully i wont suffer too many  ,if any back issues  during this resto . Fingers crossed .