Totally Non Car related Question - Dementia Clocks, do you know of any?

Rally Pack 2000

Dementia Clocks are an item that seems to have originated in the UK so looking for brand names to widen my search and its most likely I will have to get one shipped from there. They are so named by the distinctive retro flip day and date display that goes with them without the need for LCD screens and the like to help people who are impaired remember dates and stuff. There is one company called Grayson that does a number of different styles in a traditional looking clock but was hoping there may be other brands someone may know of and the sellers so far found are a bit high on their shipping costs. You guys are all the UK people I know so thought I would ask here so If you know of any other brands to widen my search it will be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

GraysonClock.thumb.jpg.3ee5cc9cf3568985e51e021a0d3b667e.jpg

You want to think about getting it shipped with that manifold first, or has dementia set in on that 😂😂😂

It's still sat in my garage, boxed up. 

Joking aside though, I can't travel to any international freight depot to get it dropped off, as they are all down toward the city from me and are outside of our quarantine area. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, katana said:

Others come up but 'look' a bit 'sourced from China' which would be a bit ironic if shipped back to Australia ! ! ! Used to see these a lot, no so much these days with Digital!

Yes most seem to be digital but they arent as easy to read and go alot longer on batteries so thats why they were recommended. The LCD ones cant be easily viewed from all angles and electronic designers cant help add little graphics and charts and mode buttons. Which muddles the already muddled.

8 hours ago, Vista said:

I just searched for flip clock amd there seemed to be loads of options?

I did that very search and not much came up at all. I suspect there are regional bias at play when you do searches and why I was looking for specifics in the UK. As Katana says all I get is cheap chinese tatt come up on my searches. Even Ebay is not fully showing my searches. When I type in dementia clock virtually none of the Grayson clocks come up in the search when most of them have the word dementia in the title descriptions. So they seem to be IP detecting and blocking most of the searches I need I think. Hence my asking for brands as when I specify that I seem to get alot more to consider.

6 hours ago, dt36 said:

You want to think about getting it shipped with that manifold first, or has dementia set in on that 😂😂😂

It's still sat in my garage, boxed up. 

Joking aside though, I can't travel to any international freight depot to get it dropped off, as they are all down toward the city from me and are outside of our quarantine area. 

I am really sorry about that Dale it has set in a bit yes. Please dont go to any trouble and definitely not travel to put yourself at risk. I haven't gotten a carburettor yet so it keeps slipping from my mind.  My ceramic coater I use is closed for the duration so I haven't been rushing to do something with that when its probably annoyingly underfoot at your place. At least its something you can use if I forget entirely! Col did give me the name of a company that collects though, otherwise regular postage will have to do but only when its totally convenient. I was delaying a bit as a number of items from the UK have gone missing in the post of late as what was a week in the post is now 2 months and if its a DVD forget it, thats a guaranteed lost item, so someone in the postal service is watching a lot on the telly. (tally is up to 6 lost DVDs atm)  I was hoping when things eased then maybe send it but now I hear things are getting worse for you guys. Its terrible. If I hear one more virus update press conference im going to scream. All my days of the week are blending into one that I forget which day of the week it is, I may have to keep the clock for myself or get two!

3 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Yes most seem to be digital but they arent as easy to read and go alot longer on batteries so thats why they were recommended. The LCD ones cant be easily viewed from all angles and electronic designers cant help add little graphics and charts and mode buttons. Which muddles the already muddled.

I did that very search and not much came up at all. I suspect there are regional bias at play when you do searches and why I was looking for specifics in the UK. As Katana says all I get is cheap chinese tatt come up on my searches. Even Ebay is not fully showing my searches. When I type in dementia clock virtually none of the Grayson clocks come up in the search when most of them have the word dementia in the title descriptions. So they seem to be IP detecting and blocking most of the searches I need I think. Hence my asking for brands as when I specify that I seem to get alot more to consider.

I am really sorry about that Dale it has set in a bit yes. Please dont go to any trouble and definitely not travel to put yourself at risk. I haven't gotten a carburettor yet so it keeps slipping from my mind.  My ceramic coater I use is closed for the duration so I haven't been rushing to do something with that when its probably annoyingly underfoot at your place. At least its something you can use if I forget entirely! Col did give me the name of a company that collects though, otherwise regular postage will have to do but only when its totally convenient. I was delaying a bit as a number of items from the UK have gone missing in the post of late as what was a week in the post is now 2 months and if its a DVD forget it, thats a guaranteed lost item, so someone in the postal service is watching a lot on the telly. (tally is up to 6 lost DVDs atm)  I was hoping when things eased then maybe send it but now I hear things are getting worse for you guys. Its terrible. If I hear one more virus update press conference im going to scream. All my days of the week are blending into one that I forget which day of the week it is, I may have to keep the clock for myself or get two!

Absolutely no rush. It's not in the way. 

• Thanks 1

Grayson seems like the main option it seems. Its good that they adjust themselves for shorter months and leap years so that will make things easier. I love the big lettered ones but the cost of postage by some of the sellers is as high as the clock themselves unfortunately.

GraysonClock1.thumb.jpg.bb57fae1a4dcb3e0734bf025ca8f7d76.jpg

You can get fancy wooden trimmed ones that look quite modern and retro at the same time. I quite like these too.

GraysonClock2.thumb.jpg.f999cafba38dbb97578ab0c33b868b54.jpg

That was an Ebay seller. Wow I didn't even know Grayson has a website as it never came up in any of my searches! Thanks so much for that. Having just purchased one I may have payed over the top.

Addition - Once you add VAT its basically the same price I paid. It was the postage and tax was the killer which added another 100 quid on top of that again. so was all in for basically 350 pounds. Probably should have gotten a smaller one with the wooden frame and less than half the cost probably would have worked just as well in the end. Oh well, lost out a bit on that one unfortunately.

1 minute ago, katana said:

But surely you are outside the EU so VAT isn't chargeable this side - what you get hammered for in import charges is another matter!

Yes thats probably where I got taken buying through and Ebay seller the price goes through with VAT whereas I could have probably saved a fair bit buying it directly and probably the postage wouldn't have been as vicious as well. I wish I had seen your post a few hours earlier. Its always the way isn't it.

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread as its become more imperative I try get hold of one of these for my mum whos getting increasingly frustrated not being able to tell what day of the week it is. Anyone know of another brand other than Graysons? I do like the Greyson ones and they have a huge one pictured above but the shipping is always the killer unfortunately from them so need to look at alternatives. These flip clock things are getting increasingly rare it seems.

Hi,

looked at these years ago for my mum but in the end I found them too expensive and she was happy with just a large clock (without the date). Maybe the brands that are sold over here are also available in UK (English).

https://thuisleefgids.nl/product/communicatie/digitale-kalenders/kalenderklokken-en-klokken-voor-slechtzienden/twemco-bq-12-kalenderklok/

https://thuisleefgids.nl/product/communicatie/digitale-kalenders/kalenderklokken-en-klokken-voor-slechtzienden/fysic-fk-247-kalenderklok/

Edit: google "calendar clock"

Edited by Miniliteman
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Miniliteman said:

Hi,

looked at these years ago for my mum but in the end I found them too expensive and she was happy with just a large clock (without the date). Maybe the brands that are sold over here are also available in UK (English).

https://thuisleefgids.nl/product/communicatie/digitale-kalenders/kalenderklokken-en-klokken-voor-slechtzienden/twemco-bq-12-kalenderklok/

https://thuisleefgids.nl/product/communicatie/digitale-kalenders/kalenderklokken-en-klokken-voor-slechtzienden/fysic-fk-247-kalenderklok/

Edit: google "calendar clock"

They are very expensive yes and thats made me hesitate in the past only for me to find they are getting harder to get that if i leave it much longer I wont be able to get one at all. The dial clock version do seem to make them cheaper but I think the digital flip clock style would be the easiest to read. The one Grayson has its like 225 quid and I can manage that but when the postage they want is the same again it just makes it untenable.

Fartech are a Taiwanese brand that produce wall flip clocks.

You could enquire what the postage would be,  Alternatively, there is also Karlsson, probably similar to Grayson in price.

What about if someone here bought a second hand one off eBay and posted it? Would that save on postage and buying new? 

Edited by Dave Knight
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Dave Knight said:

Fartech are a Taiwanese brand that produce wall flip clocks.

You could enquire what the postage would be,  Alternatively, there is also Karlsson, probably similar to Grayson in price.

What about if someone here bought a second hand one off eBay and posted it? Would that save on postage and buying new? 

I know in the case of the Grayson ones the postage is 150 pounds and it weighs 2 to 3kgs but Im not sure if thats the going rate for them to be posted by anyone or them adding extra for shipping. Im not sure there would be much saving either asking someone in the UK to send it to me privately as when I purchase it its VAT free but if they were to buy it they would have to pay VAT so I think it would balance out to the same ultimately.

41 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

I know in the case of the Grayson ones the postage is 150 pounds and it weighs 2 to 3kgs but Im not sure if thats the going rate for them to be posted by anyone or them adding extra for shipping. Im not sure there would be much saving either asking someone in the UK to send it to me privately as when I purchase it its VAT free but if they were to buy it they would have to pay VAT so I think it would balance out to the same ultimately.

Hi @Rally Pack 2000

Have you seen the digital dementia clocks on Amazon. The one below is best rated by Dementia UK.

Screenshot_20240112-113637_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3497a8dee55eda84eb95bf8b03fb2722.jpgScreenshot_20240112-113645_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e9c48b5a5d904738b6811d4b71a33c4e.jpg

11 hours ago, Vista Estate said:

Hi @Rally Pack 2000

Have you seen the digital dementia clocks on Amazon. The one below is best rated by Dementia UK.

Screenshot_20240112-113637_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3497a8dee55eda84eb95bf8b03fb2722.jpgScreenshot_20240112-113645_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e9c48b5a5d904738b6811d4b71a33c4e.jpg

8 hours ago, Miniliteman said:

That YCOO one on Amazon is an LCD screen. Does it say somewhere what the max. angle is for viewing?

They do look good those digital ones and they are such good value too but many of them are USB I noticed and wouldn't last that long battery wise. The old style flip clocks will go a couple of years in two D batteries so that's why I went down that route. To be honest my mum would complain about it just for being high tech but if it looks old fashions she would be ok with it. Cant blame here for that as I'm like that way with cars! LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

They do look good those digital ones and they are such good value too but many of them are USB I noticed and wouldn't last that long battery wise. The old style flip clocks will go a couple of years in two D batteries so that's why I went down that route. To be honest my mum would complain about it just for being high tech but if it looks old fashions she would be ok with it. Cant blame here for that as I'm like that way with cars! LOL

Have you seen this one on ebay @Rally Pack 2000

Item no 155993690745

It's secondhand but looks OK.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vista Estate said:

Plus this one 335199321473

And this one 186242113102

😊

I will probably have to settle for one like the first you posted. One of my preferences was for an all digital display rather than an analogue clock face is that it has because we are having some confusions with that style from time to time but they are much better value so Im weighing up cost over functionality but I feel guilty trying to cut costs on something like this. I so like the last one in Grey as Miniliteman also sent me that one and was also the one I was considering new but the retailer wants the same again in shipping as to be fair its a pretty big clock. I know it doesn't have a battery cover but you dont change the batteries that often so if i can save a hundred quid im happy to put some duct tape over it to hold the batteries in. No one would see it at the back I dont think. Thanks guys I was trying to put this off due to costs but its become apparent it something we cant do without.

This one would be the best I think ultimately. Its big but not as huge as some and it makes best use of the display face. showing the complete day of the week not just an abbreviation. I cant seem to even find out from Graysons if its available still, they answer my questions like a politician and say things that never actually answer your questions, its really strange trying to deal with them. I would prefer one that wasnt white as they go yellow in our bright high UV environment but at this point if i can find one like that in white I would probably still grab it.

GraysonClock5.thumb.jpg.29e94456c0a26fa54dcf665742fc2478.jpg

• Love 1