Making cc changes on logbook

sparkycapri

How do you go about getting a written report on CC upgrade

just looked on DVLA website re engine changes see below

Changing your vehicle details on your registration certificate You’ll need to update your registration certificate (V5C) if you make any changes to your vehicle or if any of the details shown on your registration certificate are incorrect. The amount of vehicle tax you pay may be affected and you will need to produce documentary evidence of the changes.

Changes you need to update

You’ll need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about the following changes to your vehicle:

colour

engine

cylinder capacity

fuel type (propulsion)

replacing or modifying the chassis/monocoque bodyshell

seating capacity

weight of a goods vehicle

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

a receipt for the replacement engine

written evidence from the manufacturer

an inspection report provided for insurance purposes

written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

if i stick a 20L pinto in place of a 1.6L one with an engine out of the shed I have had 10 years odd none of the above are relevant

any one got any ideas :sad:

Im afraid it is relevent mate ive been sorting an engine change on 2 vehicles one i sent off some time ago and one i sent 3 weeks ago , i sent receipts , engineers reports etc etc inc letters one of the changes involved an engine i had for over 2 years............sometimes it makes you wonder why you try and be legal ??......i have spoken to various dvla staff about the changes......Hope this is a help as to what to do about changes ???

How do you go about getting a written report on CC upgrade

if i stick a 20L pinto in place of a 1.6L one with an engine out of the shed I have had 10 years odd none of the above are relevant

any one got any ideas :sad:

^ what I thought too.

I am just going to send it off without the report and then jump through the hoops if it comes back.

What happens if the engine is bored to higher CC, there is no physical change is there externally.

TBH its just for those people who dump massive engines in I reckon.

colour

engine

cylinder capacity

fuel type (propulsion)

replacing or modifying the chassis/monocoque bodyshell

seating capacity

weight of a goods vehicle

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

change in cylinder capacity is "boreing" !!!

i dont bother when i change um any thing said just say it was like it when i bought it i dont know anything about cars i thought it was normal to have a v12 in a capri ??

"a receipt for the replacement engine"

just get a mate to hand write you a private receipt for the engine and send them that, or get a garage you know to confirm it on headed paper, put a note in to the DVLA explaining you fitted it, thats gotta be fine

I put a 1200 bandit engine in my 750 gsxr frame, I just filled in the new engine number and capacitiy, and put a note in saying it had been changed, V5 came back 2 weeks later, no probs at all

I put the receipt in with all the stuff that i got of the bloke i got the engine off and they came back with it has to be on headed paper so you can imagine my answer that it was a private not business sale then was told breaking vehicles unless correctly licenced to do so bla bla bla ........its all nonsence......

"a receipt for the replacement engine"

just get a mate to hand write you a private receipt for the engine and send them that, or get a garage you know to confirm it on headed paper, put a note in to the DVLA explaining you fitted it, thats gotta be fine

I

These days if you dont send them what they want they wont change it ...simple, this has just come in this year, Iam waiting to here from a mate as to how he got on having just sent his off for an engine change with a hand written receipt

• 11 years later...

Sorry to dredge this up again folks, but I'm interested to know if anyone's done this more recently. I'm about to try it myself. I have had the sT170 for nearly 4 years. I bought it from a guy on Alcoholics Anonymous who was breaking ST170s at the time and when I asked him this week if he could back date me a receipt he just told me to write my own out. So I'm going to do that as I have his address and first name and sign it with a made up surname. We'll see how that goes........😕

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to do my vehicle changes, so we'll see how that goes......

Interesting to note though that a fairly large number of people seem to not bother. Looking at the DVLA vehicle check page, I've come across quite a lot of vehicles that are still registered with their original engine capacities, so of them with huge changes in capacity too. It seems crazy, as some of the guys that are doing this are incredibly good engineers and have done some awesome work to get the cars into their current condition.........

I'm just nervous about getting pulled later by an observant occifer with drastic results, not to mention the result of an RTC and insurance being pulled 😰

36 minutes ago, notenoughtime said:

Surely you are going to tell the insurance it’s fitted with 2l so they will know from th doff that it’s modified 

Oh yes! Definitely telling the insurers,  but my point is that some seem to insure correctly and not bother with the change in registration details. That seems to be an invite for the insurance company to pull out if you have an RTC and get fined by the DVLA or something?

I know you should inform them.......but I hear from a lot of people needing support getting their cars legal again having contacted DVLA, thinking they're doing the right thing, only to have DVLA inspectors sent out and their registration and chassis numbers pulled. These are extreme cases that usually involve more than just a cc change.....but I can see why it puts people off contacting them.

1 hour ago, Vista said:

I know you should inform them.......but I hear from a lot of people needing support getting their cars legal again having contacted DVLA, thinking they're doing the right thing, only to have DVLA inspectors sent out and their registration and chassis numbers pulled. These are extreme cases that usually involve more than just a cc change.....but I can see why it puts people off contacting them.

i have had a couple of letters asking for loads of photos of a car when just putting them in my name

My youngest son has a LR Defender and has just had a BMW X5 engine installed in it - there's a guy that converted it all professionally including providing the refurbed engine etc and my son sent off his V5 with an engine size change and has just had is V5 returned (with original engine size still on it) and he has to get an engineer's report before sending it back to them to change it.

On 10/02/2021 at 15:35, Mk2Jo said:

My youngest son has a LR Defender and has just had a BMW X5 engine installed in it - there's a guy that converted it all professionally including providing the refurbed engine etc and my son sent off his V5 with an engine size change and has just had is V5 returned (with original engine size still on it) and he has to get an engineer's report before sending it back to them to change it.

Is that because it's not a Land Rover engine do you think? I'm starting to get worried now, I've put a lot of cash into this project already, so I don't want to end up with a car that's useless to me 😒