South African Long Range Fuel Tank

6 minutes ago, GrahamU said:

I dont fully understand how these suffer worse than the uk tank for leaking, there doesn't look to be any protection against sloshing in a the uk tanks either.

Is it just a case of sealing the filler cap or is it to do with the entry position in the tank?

I haven't been able to see the internals of a South African tank so not sure what their design is like but Australian tanks that go under the boot floor with a rear filler arrangement have internal baffles that prevent any splash back up the filler pipe. I would have assumed the South Africans adopted a similar arrangement but I have heard this slosh problem more than once so suspect they never did. While Australian cars really needed some of the features found in the European models like radius arms for example the tank arrangement is really the best you will find. Its centered within the car, underneath the boot floor it lowers the centre of gravity, Large capacity of course at 54litres, rear filler so it doesn't matter which side of the bowser you are on and without the wheel well tank it makes the boot space the largest you will find in a small car. Im surprised how many Australian cars that end up in the UK this is the first thing the remove when its better than any of the other offerings.

3 hours ago, GrahamU said:

I dont fully understand how these suffer worse than the uk tank for leaking, there doesn't look to be any protection against sloshing in a the uk tanks either.

Is it just a case of sealing the filler cap or is it to do with the entry position in the tank?

With a long and flat tank, cornering forces have a greater effect, say its 1/2 full and you corner right, all the fuel goes left (no problem) and then you go left, all the fuel now has weight and momentum to go right - straight up the filler neck and out the cap. A Euro tank being very deep compared to its plan area doesn't get the slosh momentum although still possible with a brimmed tank!

13 hours ago, Miniliteman said:

Don't you have anti-slosh petrol in the UK?

Having looked closer at the tank I have, the filler pipe goes into the tank by about 30mm so I guess that works when the tank isnt to full.

The african tank has more than enough pipe leading to the tank that you could put a flap in line to fix it